Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » afraid and anxious about seeing the gyno

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: afraid and anxious about seeing the gyno
Member # 9625

Icon 9 posted      Profile for drpeppergrrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and what they did to help ease their fears? i am extremely scared of going to the gynocologist. i have not ever been to one but i should go (i am 19 but not sexually active.) the thought of going literally makes me so scared that i have an anxiety attack. the thought of what will be done to me during the exam is extremely horrifying to me. i am not using words like "horrifying" for effect, i'm saying this is really how it makes me feel. i'm not just nervous, i'm truly frightened. i tried to go a few months ago and even scheduled myself an appointment but when i pulled into the doctor's parking lot i immediately had an anxiety attack so bad i had trouble breathing and i had to leave. i have never had anxiety like this before, the only times it is a problem is when i have to think about going to the dr. i think that part of my fear comes from a VERY bad and scary experience i had with a doctor as a child. i know that i need to go to the gyno, but i just can't. what can i do to stop my fear and anxiety? is it possible to get therapy for something like this? and yes, i have read all the articles about what to expect during the exam, so it isn't fear of the unknown that keeps me from going. all the articles i read just make my anxiety even worse. i'm tired of being afraid but i can't seem to make the fear go away.
Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiamondGirl2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also afraid of going to the gyno. I am 17 and although not yet sexually active, I've learned from this site it is a good idea. Have you talked to anybody about this bad experience because maybe someone can help you. I hope so and good luck!

Boogie Black
Still Going Strong!!!
Forever and Always!!!

Posts: 137 | From: The Home of The Greatest: NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried talking to the doctor and nurses that will be treating you and explaining your fear? I'm sure they've probably worked with plenty of women who've had this problem, and would be glad to help you come up with some solutions. (And, if they aren't, you might want to look around, if you can, for a doctor who'd be willing to.)

What helped me after some bad doctor-related experiences was finding doctors who will explain to me what's going to happen in an exam before I even get undressed, then tell me everything they're going to do *before* they do it, then do it, then check to see that I'm okay. I found that if I knew what to expect, I was pretty much okay.

And yeah, if you wanted to talk to a therapist or counselor about this, too, there'd be nothing wrong with that.

Good wishes, and I hope it all works out well!

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way. I am so scared to go. I think that talking to someone about it, maybe even talking to a friend that has gone and having her explain it to you might help, if even just a little bit.

When you do go, make sure to tell them this is your first time and you are extremely nervous. And try to concetrate on something other than what is happening.

Hope this helps

Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9369

Icon 12 posted      Profile for PrincessVenus153     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... I'm not very afraid to go... I'm going this Wednesday (I'm 15 and not sexually active, but there might be something wrong with my haymen or something)... I just wondered why everyone was afraid. I mean, this is for our own good... the way I figure, if I don't take care of my body... who will? I only have one :\
Posts: 13 | From: Japan | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drpeppergrrrl, I have been there. In fact, I am still there. heh. I don't ever have the guts to actually hightail it out of there, but I always start crying in that period where the nurse leaves, but the doctor hasn't come in yet, and I seem to make it nearly impossible for them to be able to do the exam. My problem is that I'm terrified of anything, um, entering me, specifically vaginally but also ears, nose, throat, etc. (Belly button? What else is there?)

My best advice is to a) Become comfortable with the doctor. See if you can call and speak to him/her beforehand, or tell the nurse that you don't want to change into a gown until you speak to the doctor. Don't be afraid to tell her exactly how you feel. b) This may be difficult, but slowly, calmly, ask yourself what the root of your fear is. Is it a fear of pain? The unknown? Doctors themselves? c) Yes, it is definitely possible to get therapy for something like this. It sounds like perhaps you have anxiety, which can be treated by therapy and/or'll have to talk to a counselor about this for more info.
I wish I could help you more, but I hope it makes you feel better to know that someone's been exactly where you are. I wish you the best of luck!
Oh, btw, I like your username.

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.