Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » endometriosis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: endometriosis?
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 11 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eep! so today i had a gynecologist appointment, and when i was there i was talking to her about going off the pill. i told her i was sick of taking pills every day, and mentioned that they weren't really helping with my cramps anymore.

scary: she said that if i still have reasonably bad cramps and i'm on the pill, that probably means i have endometriosis.

has anyone else heard this before? is endo a common problem? eep.

thanks to anyone who can help.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
endometriosis is when the endometrium (the inner lining of the uterus that grows and shed every month) starts growing in places other than the uterus. when it's not in the uterus, either the tissue stops operating on a cycle, or its cycle becomes really weird. if you are cramping a lot, then that means the endometrium is growing faster than it is shedding/being reabsorbed.

i thought that the pill would still curb the cramps, though. if not, maybe you'll have to go on really strong NSAIDs (Naprosyn et al). Other treatments include endometrial ablation, which means the tissue is removed. This is not something you want to have done unless absolutely necessary.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's a pretty common gynecological disorder.

Basically, it means that bits of the endometrium (the lining of the uterus) have gone walkabout and taken root in places in the body where they shouldn't be. So each month they try to shed, but because they're not in the uterus, they can't leave the body properly - so you get lesions and inflammation, which can lead to very painful cramps, irregular bleeding etc.

The only available medical treatments are hormone treatments and/or surgery to remove the lesions. However, apparently some women find it's very responsive to diet and herbal treatments.

There's a great book by Ruth Trickey called "Women, Hormones and the Menstrual Cycle: Herbal and Medical Solutions from Adolescence to Menopause" which presents info on both medical and herbal approaches (to endo and lots of other gyn problems) in what seems like a fairly balanced way.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000152.html

i knew i had discussed this before somewhere...

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was just wondering if that was a reasonably thing to say - that cramps that aren't responsive to the pill are usually caused by endometriosis.

the pill stopped the cramps for awhile, but they're back now. i thought it was just that my body chemistry had changed.

i decided to go off the pill anway, and my doctor gave me prescriptions for painkillers. i was just surprised that she mentioned endometriosis at all - i thought cramps were common, and i was under the impression that the pill helps with cramps, but doesn't always fully get rid of them.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, endometriosis can't be definitively diagnosed without a laparoscopy, but it is certainly one possible cause of severe cramps. Whether your gyn was justified in the "probably" - I dunno.
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earth girl
Neophyte
Member # 7759

Icon 2 posted      Profile for earth girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...

I mean, I've always suffered with menstrual cramps. If I didn't take a strong painkiller (ibuprofen) I'd be suffering and feeling really quite ill. Since I've been on the pill I still have cramps, but I guess slightly better. Still have to take painkillers, mind.

I'd never thought for a moment that I might have endometriosis. Besides, isn't it usually accompanied by symptoms other than cramps. Acute cases are accompanied by some heavy duty bleeding. I once saw a programme that profiled a number of sufferers, and the stories they told - like suddenly being hit with a huge gush of blood, running into their shoes and onto the pavement... well, I felt terrible for them.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and of course I'm more than aware that there are degrees of severity. I don't think I'll personally push this as a possibility for me.

Posts: 36 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has your doctor done any additional testing (such as drawing blood to check hormone levels)? My mom had endo, and along with it she had a pituitary gland problem that left her with an extremely high prolactin level. Which her doctor said contributed to the endo.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by logic_grrl:
As far as I know, endometriosis can't be definitively diagnosed without a laparoscopy, but it is certainly one possible cause of severe cramps.

I don't mean to be a scaremonger, but if there is a possibility of it being endo, do get it properly checked out, as some cases of endo have been known to cause infertility.

Yours most likely isn't so severe, but it never hurts to be sure

Rose-Anne

------------------
"Fairyland was never like this!" - Finian's Rainbow

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claireterry
Neophyte
Member # 19870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for claireterry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zanney:
I don't mean to be a scaremonger, but if there is a possibility of it being endo, do get it properly checked out, as some cases of endo have been known to cause infertility.

Yours most likely isn't so severe, but it never hurts to be sure

Rose-Anne

Yea... I have endometriosis. I'm 15. I got diagnosed with it 2 months ago. I had a laparoscopy done. And guess what? I'm infertile. When I found out... I cried for days. It's terrible. Anyway... anyone who thinks they might have endometriosis NEEDS to find out exactly what they have.

------------------
Ignore this dot ------->.

Posts: 1 | From: okc, ok, usa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.