Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » sick from oral sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sick from oral sex?
froggish
Activist
Member # 6370

Icon 5 posted      Profile for froggish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...I'm wondering if one can catch a cold or something (like a bacterial infection) from going down on someone with a cold? For example, I have a cold, and if my girlfriend goes down on me, will she catch my cold (solely from that)? Or are they like, such separate sections of the body that that wouldn't happen?
Also, (slightly related) is it possible to get a bacterial infection in your throat (like strep or something) from going down on someone, like bacteria from urine or whatever? Not an STD, necessarily...
Thanks for your time!

------------------
~*frog*~

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SURPRISE! urine is sterile. your kidneys do a great job of filtering out tiny wasteproduct molecules from your blood, leaving bacteria and viruses to your immune system.

but can you catch a bacterial infection from oral sex? yeah. gonorrhea is one of them. Streptococcus? it's possible. but if you get strep from oral sex, it *IS* a STD (after all, you transmitted it via sexual activity).

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoa, Gummy. urine IS "sterile," but only to yourself. that's why in survival situations you can use it to clean wounds, or to distill for drinking water. but it's not a good idea to come into contact with someone else's urine.

bacteria are indeed found in urine - else how would they test for urinary tract infections?

am I right?

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
like the iron chef who has lost to the challenger *bows head* indeed, lemming-san.

but as for UTIs, those bacteria are already present on your body, the jostling around and friction just push them to the wrong places.

anyway, i suppose the gist of all this is not to be drinking people's other urine.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
known to many as "lemiko-chan," I concede your point.

got it, froggish?

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggish
Activist
Member # 6370

Icon 7 posted      Profile for froggish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heehee, yeah, I think get it But part of my question is more like, if one has a cold affecting their head-area (like their nose or throat) can that same infection be transmitted through oral sex? Although - kissing is also involved...so...maybe that's how the cold keeps getting passed between us *duh, frog*...Heh. Umm. Thanks for the help, though!

------------------
~*frog*~

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once I had a cold that my partner didn't want to get. So we had lots of sex of all different varieties without any mouth-mouth kissing. The no mouth kissing was a huge sacrifice for both of us. He ended up getting the cold anyway. Bah.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.