Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » periods and festivals - any advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: periods and festivals - any advice?
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey all
so, i've just been looking at my calendar, and realised that i'm pretty much gunna have my period when i'm at the Glastonbury Festival for 4 days at the end of June, and the Reading Festival for 4 days at the end of August. [i'm on the pill so pretty regular]
now, being on the pill, it's pretty light and practically painless. but does anyone have any advice? i'm gunna be camping. and the toilets ... leave quite a lot to be desired.
i was thinking [wishfully] maybe i could alter my pill cycle so it comes at a different time. but as i use the pill for contraception too i don't want to risk anything.
anyone had any experience?
i don't reallly know what i'm asking. i just want assurance i'm not going to bleed everywhere and i'm gunna be ok!
mind you, i will be seeing no doubt and thousands of other bands.

-pandora
xxo

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keurigirl
Neophyte
Member # 7991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keurigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I have been in similar situations before, once on a trip to Hawaii! After speaking to my Dr. about my options, she suggested I not have a period that month. Basically, that meant starting a new pill pack after my "active pills" ended, thereby skipping the week I would normally take inactive pills and have my period. You might wish to speak to your doctor about that very same thing. It would keep you from having your period at the first festival, and then it would adjust your second period by a week-- maybe enough to miss the second festival?

Posts: 2 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keurigirl:
You might wish to speak to your doctor about that very same thing.

Just as a note, you must speak to your doctor before attempting this sort of alteration of your pill schedule. Keurigirl definately did the right thing by asking her doctor first, and if you feel like skipping your period is a necessity, then you really have to consult your doctor to get his/her permission first. Your doctor will tell you whether or not this is the best idea for you and whether or not it will alter the effectiveness of your pill. Messing around with your meds in an unapproved way could leave you less protected than you want to be. So call your doctor.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, in the event that you decide against using the pill to control your period, or your doctor doesn't want you to, you can try one of these:

The Keeper: http://www.keeper.com
Instead: http://www.softcup.com/

Comparison photos of the two: http://www.mum.org/KeeperInsteadpic.htm

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earth girl
Neophyte
Member # 7759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earth girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, I think I'm pretty much the expert on these matters - I went to Reading the last two years and got my period both times, ack.

Anyway, if you decide not to play around with the pill, it's really not incredibly awful to deal with, especially if, like you said, it's pretty light and painless (try carrying a mega backpack across Reading with period backache).

One good tip - DON'T USE THE PORTALOOS. EVER. It's actually possible to not use them the whole time you're there (I didn't, because they filled me with horror). In the main arena at Reading there are cabins with proper loos, flushing water and all. So use those wherever possible, especially before you go back to your tent at night. Portaloos in the dark are even worse than during the day - you might drop your torch down the hole...

Tampons are fine, just as long as you change them when you're supposed to. You can always wear a pad for extra peace of mind. Now you'll have to use pads at some point (at night, etc.) but at least you can uh, change those when you're in your tent rather than have to go to the toilets. Wet wipes are an essential festival thing anyway, but especially essential to stop yourself feeling icky in the downstairs area when you can't have a nice shower!

Hope that helped - any more q's, just ask

Posts: 36 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks everyone!
earth girl - i was there last year too best weekend of my life. heehee!
the toilets in the main arena. yes. lifesaver! i have a weak bladder so was dreading it! but also you sweat so much during the day that don't need the loo quite as much. the portaloos near where i was camping actually weren't that bad, especially after they'd just been cleaned.
i'm gunna have a think and decide if i'll go to the doctor or not. i use tampons anyway, luckily, but still. hassle! and definitely no pale trousers!!

-pandora
xxo

------------------

[ american beauty ]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what is the Glastonbury & Reading Festival? Sounds interesting

------------------
~A real friend is one that will help you clean up after the party's over.

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

ohhhh i could talk about festivals forever! a friend and i just decided that we would rather spend the rest of our lives at Reading festival than having sex. they're better than sex! heehee. rather, some parts of them are.
Basically, you get friday, saturday and sunday, packed chock full of music. the lineup for Reading, which is at the end of August, was just announced today. and it's fabulous! highlights this year will be ... Weezer, dandy warhols, foo fighters, muse, ash, less than jake, jane's addiction, incubus, prodigy, offspring...and many many many many more.
this is incredibly off topic!
Glastonbury is the Daddy of all festivals. and the lineup there is a bit 'older' but includes No Doubt [who i've wanted to see for 6 years!] and looooads of other good bands.

-bouncing around bedroom- i'm so excited!
plus you get to camp in muddy fields without showers or anything for 4 days!
yippeee!!!!

-pandora
xxo

------------------

[ american beauty ]

BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify-Reading is a town in England, not what you do with a book (it's pronouced red-ing. I suppose that could be kind of confusing for anyone not familiar with what we British rock chicks do with our summers
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it popular all throughout England? That sounds like so much fun! Not my taste in music, but if it were I'm sure I'd have a blast... especially going w/ my friends!

------------------
~A real friend is one that will help you clean up after the party's over.

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

heehee - BJade , well done for clearing that up ... silly me in all my hyperactive excitement. and! i just realised i counted wrong! and i'm -not- going to have my period at either!
woo hoo! sex in a tent, as well! yippeee!

-pandora
xxo

------------------

[ american beauty ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.