Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » tongue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tongue
star51885
Neophyte
Member # 6818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star51885     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whenever my boyfriend i are french kissing for a long amount of time, my tongue gets really sore. If we're just kissing a little bit its not a problem. But when its full-fledged making out and what not my tongue can't handle it. It usually remains sore for a few days(unless i continue to kiss him anyway in which case it stays sore longer hehe). It basically feels like the underneath of my tongue is being pulled or stretched too far. Am i just kissing the wrong way? Whats going on? How can i stop it?
Posts: 16 | From: Arlington, MA, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered what french kissing was like ... I don't get to do a lot of it b/c my tongue is attatched too much in my mouth. Ya know, where the lil thingy that attatches your tongue to the bottom of your mouth is a little too long and doesn't let you stick your tongue out all that far ... ? Well i'm one of those people.

I have a bf and have for over a year and it's not a huge deal. If there's a tongue to be put in anyones mouth, it's usual his in mine. But again ... it's not a huge deal. You learn to deal w/ things like that.

If it hurts, don't do it. Kissing can be just as much fun w/o the tongue ... in my personal experience anyway

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe...I know what you're talking about.

it's just like any other muscle - you exercise it too much one day and it's going to be sore the next. so I'd limit yourself to the amount of tongue-exercising you're doing on any given day, unless you can figure out some way to do tongue pushups.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

"Years ago, I was an angry young man/I'd pretend that I was a billboard/Standing tall by the side of the road/I fell in love with the beautiful highway..."-Talking Heads, "(Nothing but) Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilkazzy
Neophyte
Member # 7892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilkazzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that if it's sore then it means that it is building up muscle. I suppose if you do it enough then you will eventually get used to it. But don't push yourself to do anything that hurts too much, because that would just be stupid.
Posts: 35 | From: Scotland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainwater
Neophyte
Member # 8068

Icon 12 posted      Profile for rainwater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your tongue could hurt coz you're sticking it out too much. Maybe you have a short tongue- just like me. But lucky for me myboyfriend had a really long tongue. Just let your boyfriend stick more of his tongue into your mouth.
Posts: 3 | From: Maseru | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somewhatanonymous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're just talking about the little extra flap of scin that holds your tounge to the bottom of your mouth(I cannot recall what it's called) hurting yes? I've managed to do that too. You're just streching it too much. You can either refain from sticking your tounge out so far, or just keep doing it anyway and eventually it will strech out and not hurt when you do that anymore. Or if you really want you could have it surgically removed alltogether like the guy in Kiss.

Posts: 141 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, anonymous, I hadn't thought about the Kiss guy in about a million years. ;] you made me smile.

yeah, that little bit's called a tongue frenulum, and if it causes problems in eating or speaking, it's a very minor procedure for your doc to clip it for you. it's usually not necessary, though.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That little peice of skin is called the frenulum. (Completely useless but related piece of info: babies who have short ones are refered to as "tongue tied" and it can be clipped if that will help with nursing.)

In adults, it can also be clipped to release it for greater movement - although it's pretty deep by the time you're a teenager, and I don't think you'd want to have it clipped as much as the guy in Kiss!

But, the point is that if you've lived this long with a kinda short frenulum (ie, you apparently didn't starve to death in infancy!) then there is nothing wrong with yours.

Check out your friends and compare how far you can stick your tongues out. Probably you won't be able to stick yours out as far as they can. Me, I can't either; I have a very tether frenulum, too.

So, when I'm kissing my other half, there's no chance I'm going to stick my tongue down his throat... I can barely stick it our past my own teeth!

But nobody's ever complained about my kissing, and I'm guessing I kiss just fine.

So, the moral of the story is: if it hurts, don't do it. Try adjusting your kissing technique. You don't have to play tonsil hockey to enjoy French kissing - stick with the front of the mouth action and see if that feels better [ ]

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
advocate mind-meld ;]
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i make out for hours and i never get sore ... lol but... lets not talk about me =D anywat... yah... the only time i feel like the bottom part is sore is when my bf sucks on my toungue... so maybe you are stretching it out too far... do whatever's comfortable... there's no "wrong" or "right" way to kiss =) have fun... be creative... but change whatever ur doing to something else if it hurts =) sounds good to me... hope i helped...???
Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never kissed someone but i "suffer" from a short tongue. I was asking my mom how short her tongue was last week and then i showed her mine, and she was kind of annoyed my docter never mentioned. I would never get it cut, just because it makes me squimish. Too bad i'll never be able to get a tongue ring, heh.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a short tongue too! I do just fine with my kissing. Another example of Size Does Not Matter

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wooo! people with short tongues unite! my friend's tongue is 4" long [yes, we stuck a ruler in her mouth!] and i always feels somewhat inferior. but i guess it ain't what ya do it's the way that you do it. or more. it's not how long your tongue is, it's what you do with it that counts!
i love kissing, and i love giving head. and i've never had any complaints about a short tongue!!
but it does annoy me that i can never get it pierced.

-pandora
xxo

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]
http://thebitch.mustbehere.com

[This message has been edited by insatiablesmiles (edited 05-11-2002).]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Some people pierce the tongue frenulum.
http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/02-tongue/rel1.html

It has a pretty good chance of being accidentally torn out, though, and then your frenulum will have been clipped. ;]

Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that done before and the thought makes me squimish. Strange that bothers me a lot more then the thought of a tongue peircing.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.