Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Is foreplay necessary?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is foreplay necessary?
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before one has intercourse, are other things like oral or manual sex necessary for one to be sufficiently aroused?

Do you need a lot of foreplay preceding intercourse or do you just dive right in?

------------------
The world's a rollercoaster, and I am not strapped in

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those things that can vary tremendously from person to person, and from day to day. Some people may need a lot of foreplay to become aroused enough to enjoy intercourse, others may find that they become aroused very quickly and can "dive right in", as you put it it.

Have a look at Sexual Response and Orgasm and First Intercourse 101 if you haven't already done so, and see if those don't shed a little more light on the subject for you.

Kyth

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think the question of 'is foreplay necessary' really depends on both the people and the circumstances ... sometimes foreplay with my partner lasts 2 1/2 hours, whereas sometimes it only takes 10 or 15 minutes before we 'dive right in' for a 'quickie'. for me it's frequently time restraints, and i often find i get aroused faster when i know we only have 1/2 an hour or an hour - sense of excitement maybe?!
for me some foreplay is always necessary for lubrication, i don't want painful sex! , but i spose some people don't -always- need it.
total personal thing i think...

-pandora
xxo

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. :-) For me, I prefer it when my boyfriend makes me orgasm prior to sex either with manual or oral sex. Sometimes though, if we only have time for a quickie, we skip that. But I make sure I am always wet enough for the insertion to feel good. Kissing him and having him stroke my breasts are quick ways for me to become wet. :-)

------------------
-~-Katie-~-

AIM: Amethyst95

Posts: 59 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.