Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sex during your period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex during your period
evolangel
Neophyte
Member # 6812

Icon 5 posted      Profile for evolangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it ok to have sex while on your period? or will there be excessive bleeding and make a huge mess?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure is! As long as you're using protection, of course, and both partners are okay w/ it. You might want to put a towel underneath both of you so you don't mess up the sheets or couch or floor ... where ever you happen to be.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is okay to have sex while having your period. I do it all the time, because my boyfriend and I don't like taking that many days off from having sex, hehehe. As Smurf said, it is a good idea to put a towel or something underneath you. Because it definitely has the possibility of becoming messy! :-D
Posts: 59 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay, BUT:

During your period, blood is being released. That means that it is EXTRA important to practice safer sex - latex gloves, condoms, dental dams. Many diseases can be transmitted through contact with blood.

Putting a towel down is also a good idea to protect bedding, since bloodstains can be hard to get out.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

this is what you get for liking it.
"The best-looking boys are taken, the best-looking girls are staying inside. So, Judy, where does that leave you, walking the streets from morning till night?" --Belle and Sebastian, "Judy and the Dream of Horses"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know when you get in the bath and your period *magically* stops? (or slows down) i heard that is the case in sex too...
I heard in on the Sunday night sex show, i'm not positive its true, could someone comment on that?

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you're in water, menstrual blood can just sort of sit where it is, rather than flowing out. If you're lying on your back it can be the same (ever wake up to a perfectly clean pad only to find yourself bleeding a lot a couple of minutes later?), and in this case it's a gravity thing. So, if you're lying down while having sex, gravity might help, but sex won't stop menstrual flow. If anything, orgasm might push blood out if the uterus is contracting strongly.

------------------
'Every day is like Sunday'

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Shy One
Activist
Member # 6815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Shy One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to get off topic but I have a question for Milke.

Milke: I noticed your little "Don't think the water" thing, by your location. I'm from Ontario too, and I was just wondering if your were refering to the E-coli thing in Walkerton, or just icky water in general?

Thanks!

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Walkerton thing. It really appalled me that such a thing could happen here (toxic drinking water is uaully associated with third world countries where the government and people can't afford to make the situation much better), and is one of the many, many reasons I didn't vote PC.

------------------
'Every day is like Sunday'

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_1ofakind
Activist
Member # 3215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine_1ofakind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed when I was on my period and my boyfriend and I were messing around my period seemed to stop for a little while. I wonder what makes it do that. Is it like you guys said before like when you are in water? hmm...
Posts: 61 | From: Mayfield, Ky | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.