Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Help huh? confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help huh? confused
Member # 6807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ariespeach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

"...Having only one partner can decrease that risk, but it doesn't eradicate it -- that's right, even if you and your partner have never had other partners. ..."

if two people have never had sex then how could either of them have an std?

unless they were born with it like aids but then i'm gonna make whoever i sleep with get tested just in case to see. i dunno....

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey there.

there are several ways someone who has "never had sex" can have an STI.

some STIs are not spread only by sex, but by intimate contact. these include HPV and herpes. oral herpes, in fact, is generally spread by adults to children when they kiss them. crabs and scabies are both often found among children and in close-living situations.

in additon, things like yeast infections can be spread sexually, but frequently occur without any sexual contact.

in general, its a good thing to get tested before having any sexual contact with anyone *and* to use barriers for all sexual activity.

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ariespeach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even if the two people are negative for any stds? and virgins?

is std protection *really* necessary? i mean what about just the pill?

um btw i'm still a virgin and i dun even have a bf, i'm just really curious

thanks !

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If both partners were absolutely clean of everything, then yes of course everything would be safe, but even the most accurate STI tests aren't completely fool-proof, some things just aren't going to show up, and the Pill can fail, so, since condoms are so cheap, readily available, and easy to use, why not use them too? A birth control method only has to fail once, or an unknown about pathogen slip by just the once, and you could have a major problem on your hands. Besides, peace of mind makes for better sex.

'Every day is like Sunday'

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it's possible to get things like yeast or bacterial infections (like bacterial vaginosis) just because your body goes out of whack, and those can be transmitted to a partner via sex.

So, if I get a yeast infection because I'm taking antibiotics, for example (a common side effect), and I have unprotected sex with one of my partners, I could give him the yeast infection. If he doesn't notice and get treated, he could give it back to me. El yucko for both of us!

However, if we were using condoms while having sex, we'd cut down our chances of transmitting the infection. (Although why I'd want to have sex during a yeast infection is beyond me, cause those things are darned uncomfortable!)

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Utopia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you both are clean and everything, if your boyfriend cheats on you (or girlfriend..whatever) then, well, you never know what might happen...

* Hey boy take a look at me, let me dirty up your mind. *

Posts: 25 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.