Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » why does it hurt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why does it hurt?
ruby
Neophyte
Member # 6603

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ruby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boyfriend and i are very much in love, and we both decided to have sex. but we've tried twice, and had half an hours foreplay each time, but it still hurts me, so much that i have to make him stop. it's like he can go in halfway, and that's nice, but any furthur and i can't do it. please, any advice would be greatful.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you're just not used to it yet. it happens to a lot of people. What we recommend is using a condom and non-spermicidal lubricant like Astroglide. Lube is very important for making penetration a little more comfortable and preventing condom breakage. Go easy on yourself, and if it still hurts, don't ignore it. That's your body's way of saying it can't handle more right now.

Have you read our article about First-timers' intercourse? It's a great wealth of info.
http://www.scarleteen.com/sexuality/firsttime.html

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gumdrop is right-- lube can help a lot!
and definitely don't go any further than your body can handle-- sex isn't supposed to be excruciatingly painful.

i assume you are talking about vaginile-penile penetration, although you didn't specify...though this advice goes for just about anything.
another thing is: go slow. you said you'd had a half hour of foreplay each time...don't put a time limit on it. maybe it will take you a few hours to be aroused enough to have non-painful, hopefully very enjoyable, intercourse. i don't know what is included in your foreplay, but sometimes engaging in other forms of sexual activity before intercourse is a great way to prepare. the more turned on you are, the better-- your body will be much more able to handle penile penetration.

and communicate a *lot*. it sounds like you are already doing this, letting him know when it starts to hurt. talk about what feels good during the foreplay, just keep the conversation going-- that can also help relax you, if it is nervousness that is causing the issue.

and of course, the piece that you already have down quite well: don't be afraid to stop when it starts to hurt.

hope this helps.
-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey
the foreplay thing is a big issue - i have just recently started sleeping with a guy who is a few years older than me and -quite- a lot more experienced, which means he really knows what's what and we can spend hours on foreplay - up to 2 1/2!
so trying try for even longer

-pandora
xxo

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.