Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » allergic reactions and things to sooth them

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: allergic reactions and things to sooth them
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi folks.
i have a question, or rather, a request for recommendations:

i'm currently having an semi-allergic reaction to a variety of things (or rather, a combination of things) which has lead to some red and sore vulvar tissue.
what do people recommend using as a soothing agent on lightly irritated skin?
lotion seemed like a bad idea....what would be good on sensitive skin? any all-natural ideas?

and i hope this was the appropriate place to post this!

love and no more antibiotics for me for quite some time!
-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 14 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aloe. Just break a piece off the plant and apply where ever needed. It's very gentle and very soothing.

If you don't happen to have a plant they are inexpensive and available anywhere from greenhouses to chain stores to malls. Easy to care for too. They are sensitive to extreme cold though so attempting to grow one in my car during 30 degree weather wasn't such a successful venture.

Good luck!

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
grr. my aloe plant is 500 miles away...and of course "out of sight out of mind"--- if it was sitting here, i probably would have remembered that...somehow, though, i think trying to take an aloe plant on an airplane would have a) raised some suspicion and b) displeased my aloe plant.

i guess i'll be off to find a new one tomorrow
i'm also planning to call my doctor, as this has gone on for a few days, and i'm willing to at least go there and hear what they have to say (i have a lot of issues with the way my doctor treats sexual and reproductive health issues, but due to living in several places, i don't yet have a gynocologist).

thanks again!

missin' my as-of-yet-unnamed-aloe-plant-which-is-probably-dehydrated-and/or-frozen-by-now...
-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fond of nice long soaks in a warm bath. Soothing to sore bits, and relaxing to the rest of me too. Just don't put anything in the water!

Oh, and you can buy aloe vera gel at health food stores, and probably other places too. Excellent for people like me, who can't keep plants alive for more than a few minutes.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eep! some people are allergic to pure aloe gel.

i broke off an aloe leaf and rubbed its juices on my sister's sunburned back one time, and she erupted in a violent rash. if you are like her, then bob-help-you if you ever get a rash like that on your private parts!

you might want to ask your doc about this, but maybe something really gentle like Cetaphil could soothe things if used in tiny amounts. However, definitely you need to be wearing cotton panties. don't let the area stay damp.

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can put aloe on your genital area? I didn't know that. My cousin used to put vaseline on her vulva (but incase anyone reads this and gets any ideas, do not use it during sex), but I would think that aloe would feel more soothing and cool on your genital area.

------------------
"It's impossible to satisfy everyone, and I suggest we all stop trying." -Jennifer Aniston

greenjay blog

Don't Mess With Texas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks kyth--
my luck with plants isn't *quite* that bad (lil aloe plant has been around for over 6 monthes now )...
luckily there's a healthfood store between the doctor and home.
the aloe helped *so* much. i did test it on my arm first, but i've used aloe on sunburn in the past and been fine so i didn't think it would be a huge problem.
as it were, the doctor *thinks* i could have a yeast infection, although she is also testing for bacteria (eek. i promised myself i wouldn't let that doctor run any tests ever again! oh well...it was too itchy and burny to wait), and so i'm not gonna get too experimental with what i stick around or in my vagina. (it appears that my prefered word, which starts with c and ends with t and has a un in the middle is not allowed on here? any reason why?)

love and soothing aloe relief
-rek

Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rek,

A really easy, at-home indicator of excess yeast in the system:

Just spit into a clear glass of water - if you see a "curdling" effect, you probably have a yeast infection. While I can't use the creams (very, very ouchy) I've had great luck with Diflucan, which is an oral treatment.

Also, pick up some refrigerated Acidophilus, as it can be the most effective treatment for yeast infections.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I had a yeast overgrowth and the dietitian reccommmended that I use this natural remedy called lipicol. You shold be able to get it in any health store or naturl remedy store. This was this grainy ricey sort of thing that you mix with water and drink back. It flushes out yeast in the system and introduces friendly basteria. For allergic reactions you're talking to the queen of sensitive skin, I'm one of those people who's allergic to anything containing aloe vera. Main tip, stay away from anything that contains lanolin, most sensitive skins react violently to this substance. Dairy is an issue also in a lot, but not all cases. I find that lavender oil and tea tree oil are very soothing. If, like me you have eczema, 5 drops of camomile mixed with a drop of milk and placed in a bath is a great help( mixing with milk goes for any oil you place in the bath, its just to get the oil to mix with the water)I wouldn't reccommend ice packs, as it usually makes the itchiness and redness way way worse as soon as the cooling effect subsides in about 5 seconds. If u are prone to allergic reactions then you should carry around a few anti-histamine tablets such as piriton, triludan or clarytin. I always carry them around in my wallet, in case of a severe reaction causing my tongue to swell. If u are persistently reacting to substances, get allergy tested. They are very surprising sometimes.

Note: Keyword when having a bath during irritation is LUKEWARM. I'll say it again, lukewarm!

[This message has been edited by Slayer_gurl (edited 01-03-2002).]

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

oooh! what a neat diagnosis idea! i'll have to try that later! thanks! (wow, bit overexcited there.)

yeah, i've heard teatree oil as well...i'm starting with garlic...if that doesn't help, i'll invest in the more complicated herbal remedies

and for the next question (a quick response would be ideal): how do aloe and latex mix? or is vinyl my best bet till i've got all this cleared out of my system?

-rek

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, no sex involving your vulva is a good idea until you get this taken care of. Sex (and I'm talking all forms - penis-in-vagina, oral, manual) is likely to just make the area more irritated than it already is and you run the risk of sharing a possible infection with your partner.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.