Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Does tampon size matter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does tampon size matter?
orbitz
Neophyte
Member # 5773

Icon 4 posted      Profile for orbitz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heya..

I've heard that it's not good for you to wear a larger-sized tampon if you're not heavy that day. But I find that the only way I can wear a tampon without a pad as well is with the supersized tampons, even though I'm never heavy on my flow enough to fill one.
Is this okay? I don't wear the big ones all the time, I usually wear slimfits right now. But I'm just curious so there are no health risks. Someone once told me that wearing a bigger one also increases your chances of getting TSS?

Posts: 26 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should always use the smallest tampon size possible for your flow.

So how do you find it out what the right size is? Very easily:

You change the tampon every 3 to 4 hours, and when there are still white bits left on the tampon, you need to switch to a smaller size. If you find that the tampon you are using does not last 3 to 4 hours, you can opt for one with a higher absorbency.

If your flow is not heavy enough to fill a high absorbency tampon, quit using them, because wearing a tampon with a higher absorbency over a longer time frame (to make it fill up) indeed highers your risk of developing TSS. Another thing you can do to lower your TSS risk is to switch between tampons and pads.

Remember to never use tampons
that are scented; your best bet are all cotton tampons (avoid rayon, if possible), that are not chlorine bleached.

- And if you find that this still doesn't feel right for you, reconsider your options, you don't just have commercial tampons and pads, but can also use menstrual sponges, cotton pads or a menstrual cup.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orbitz
Neophyte
Member # 5773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orbitz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey again...
are tampons meant to give you the freedom of not having to wear a pad, or am I supposed to get spotting with a tampon? Sorry, I probably wasn't clear with my first message. Because with a regular sized tampon, it sometimes fills and sometimes doesn't, but even when it's still not full I can have leakage!

Posts: 26 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, tampons are supposed to give you freedom from pads, even though some women still prefer to use pantyliners with them (which one shouldn't do for the entire cycle though).

Are you inserting the tampons correctly? - If any leakage happens because the tampon doesn't fit, not because it is full, you might want to work on your technique . If you are using applicator tampons at the moment, why not try non-applicator ones for a change, and see whether you can insert them better for less leakage?

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"..some women still prefer to use pantyliners with them (which one shouldn't do for the entire cycle though)."

Ooh-why shouldn't you wear pantyliners for the whole cycle? (I assume that's what you meant) I've never heard that before and I think maybe I wear them too much. Hmm.

------------------
You wanna save humanity, it's just the people you can't stand-John Lennon

Witness the infinite justice of the new century. Civilians starving to death whilst waiting to be killed.

Manky Confuddledness

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi BJadeT,

No reason to be worried, but it's just not such a good idea to wear pantiliners when one is prone to yeast infections:

No matter how female hygiene engineers try to work it out, in some way, all kids of commercial pantiliners (even the "breathable" ones) keep air away from your vulva, hence make it all a bit warmer and moister than it normally is, and thereby cause perfect conditions for a yeast infection. It's far better to simply wear cotton undies, of if you really want something between you and your undies, a re-usable cotton pantiliner.

It's no big health risk or anything to use pantiliners, but something women who are prone to yeast infections should keep in mind.

And well: what's the purpose of a pantiliner anyway when you have fresh undies at hand all the time anyway?

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Alchemical Precept

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.