Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » still lost!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: still lost!
Anxious One!!
Neophyte
Member # 3091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anxious One!!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i understand the concept of child birth and how one is conceived and all, but i want to know what the birds and the bees have to do with it??? Why are they used??????

Posts: 28 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you mean why the terms "bird's and bees" is used when people talk about human reproduction? That's a good question, actually. I'll move this to the general boards to see whether someone has any idea and search for an answer, too. Okay?

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a wacky English phrase. Don't worry, no birds nor bees have to come into contact with your anatomy. (Whew!)

Here's what Cecil Adams has to say about it:

quote:
Don't feel bad. Nobody explained it to me, either, and I must say I made quite an impression that first night with the honey and feathers. But now I'm hip. The
significance of the birds and bees isn't what they do, it's simply that they do it, "it," naturally, being a tussle in the tumbleweeds, or wherever it is that the lower orders
engage in sex.

Where exactly "the birds and the bees" originated nobody knows, but word sleuths William and Mary Morris hint that it may have been inspired by words like these
from the poet Samuel Coleridge: "All nature seems at work ... The bees are stirring--birds are on the wing ... and I the while, the sole unbusy thing, not honey make,
nor pair, nor build, nor sing." Making honey, pairing ... yes, we can definitely tell what Sam had on his mind.

The Morrises offer the theory that schools in years past taught about sex by "telling how birds do it and how bees do it and trusting that the youngsters would get the
message by indirection." Right. Luckily for the perpetuation of the species, there's always been Louie in the schoolyard to explain how things really worked.

That's from http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_229a.html

Another site says "Alas, the expression's origins are overlooked, and surprisingly it doesn't appear in many dictionaries of idioms. Sounds Victorian,doesn't it?" (http://www.writersblock.ca/winter97/a-letter.htm)

I got these two quotes by doing a Google search on "birds and bees phrase origin" -- there's a lot more hits out there if you want to do the search yourself.

erin

[This message has been edited by ErinK (edited 07-19-2001).]

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh Erin, you rock. Thanks gal. My google search wasn't that successful. Bad search words on my part.
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since gr. 11 biology, I've found the idea of 'the birds and the bees' pretty funny, since neither birds or bees's copulatory processes mimic ours.

I mean...birds basically press their butts together (their vents, which is where all waste is expelled, as well as sperm)...

------------------
*When authorities warn you of the sinfulness of sex, there is an important lesson to be learned. Do not have sex with the authorities. -From "Basic Sex Facts
For Today's Youngfolk" in "Life In Hell'', by (Matt Groening)

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Birds do it, bees do it/Even educated fleas do it/Let's do it/Let's fall in love.."

*smirks*

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Boo to the business world/You know a girl who's tax-free on her back and making/Plenty cash/But you are working for the joy of giving" --Belle and Sebastian, "Lazy Line-Painter Jane"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bees polinate (aka, men) and birds lay eggs (aka, women)! At least thats what my mommy told me....

------------------
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying "THAT WAS AWESOME!!"

If there's no chocolate in heaven, I ain't going :)

I Love You Dan!!

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.