Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Virgin or Not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virgin or Not?
HottStuff
Neophyte
Member # 4502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HottStuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm new to the board, and I have a kinda weird question....If you've had sex but you didn't bleed because your hymen (i think thats what its called) or as I've heard it called "popping the cherry" isn't broken, are technically still a virgin? Thats what I've heard, but I'm really confused! Can anyone help!?
Posts: 7 | From: Gray Court, SC, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of lots of women do not bleed during first iontercourse, because their hymen have already eroded to the point where no tearing occurs, just due to tampon use or day-to-day activities.

Since "virginity" is not a medical term, but is instead arbitrary and cultural (and, IMO, awfully demeaning), the best we can do is tell you the history of it here: http://www.scarleteen.com/politics/virginity.html

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's important to remember that everyones definition of a virgin is different. And not all women are even born w/ hymens ... while some women's hymens erode over time anyway.

This topic has been covered many times, such as here ... This and other interesting topics can be found by using the handy-dandy search function at the top right hand corner of your screen

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.