Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » it can't hit ME - syndrome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: it can't hit ME - syndrome
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, people, I usually do not at all think scaring people is the best way to make them practice Safer Sex, but while reading the US Surgeon General's "Call to Arms", I stumbled over this nice assortment of numbers that I thought would sure be interesting and a little reminder for those who suffer from "It can't hit ME" syndrome.

• Chlamydia rates for women are the highest for those between 15 and 19. Women of African American or Hispanic origin of that age have the highest risk.

• Same goes for Gonorrhoea.

• 45 million Americans are infected with genital Herpes, and one million new cases occur each year.

• Four of the plenty HPV sub-strains are responsible for an estimated 93% of cases of cervical cancer. There are about 5.5 million new cases of cervical cancer occurring each year.

• HIV has disproportionately affected gay and bisexual men that belong to minorities. The numbers for women have been rising. Women now make up about 28% of all HIV infections.

Now I ask you to please combine these numbers with this news bit from our news log:

quote:

If the world seems to be shrinking, a new study suggests that indeed it is--particularly when it comes to sexual contact.

According to a survey of people in Sweden, most people are just a few degrees of sexual separation from each other, researchers report in the June issue of Nature.
The findings, which have since been replicated in the US, and are probably applicable to other countries as well, have important implications for the spread of STDs including HIV, Dr. Luis Amaral, a research associate at Boston University in Massachusetts, told Reuters Health.

``With (HIV), you just need the disease to reach a few individuals with many connections. It's very easy to start an epidemic,'' Amaral said.

Indeed, the investigators found that the sum of all the sexual partners of the 10% most sexually active men accounted for 48% of all sexual contacts in the network. This means that people with very few sexual contacts are still likely to be exposed to people who have had sex with many partners, Amaral explained.

[...]

``You might think you're far away from the chain but now you've had contact with someone with a very large number of contacts. You can actually interconnect everyone in the network with very few people,'' said Amaral, who estimates that there are, on average, three to seven people between any pair.

[...]

``It's frightening. You cannot get out of the network,'' Amaral said. ``But if you were somehow able to identify patients and convince them to change their behavior and practice safe sex, you could have a dramatic effect.''

Conclusion?

There is no way at all around regular screenings and practising Safer Sex, at all times, with all partners.

And this was your little Monday lecture from your friendly Sexpert Caro who's throwing condoms at the computer screen to make you use them.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-02-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Muwahaha, my Condom Launcher will beat your measily "throwing condoms at the computer screen" any day! *pboom* COMDOMS! *pboom* CONDOMS!

Okay, anyways...over on the chickboards, we had a lot of "it wont happen to me sufferes", especially in the sexuality forum. And then someone started a thread about what they should do...and we used that as our proof that it CAN hapen to you. What had happened to this poster was...she was in a monogamous relationship for five years, she was on the pill, so her boyfriend and her were sporadic about their condom usage, and I believe they were engaged. All was well until one day the fiance had to tell her something...he had been cheatin on her. He wouldn't have told her (obviously), except that his little fling on the side just tested positive for HIV. And now they all had to get tested.

She ended up being negative for HIV, but, it was a quite scary time, and it showed us all that it can happen to you, no matter how safe you think you are.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.