Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » a stupid question?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a stupid question?
happychap
Neophyte
Member # 4343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happychap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

Well ... I feel like an idiot asking this but ... well ...

The only form of birth control my girlfriend and I use is "pulling out", if I may be so blunt. How effective is this ? I mean ... is "pre-cum" (as it is commonly reffered to) relly semen or is it just another fluid? How safe are we if I never ejaculate inside her?
(once again, I apologize if this is a dumb question)

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Pulling out" is not a method of birth control.

How effective is it? Let's see according to the birth control chart, when no contraception is used, you have a 50% chance of getting pregnant. So if you have sex twice, there's a 100% chance your girlfriend could get pregnant. In a lottery, those odds are nice. In pregnancy, I wouldn't risk it.

Pre-ejaculate is not a mythological fluid. It is real and it does contain sperm, of which can very well get your girlfriend pregnant. Pre-ejaculate is a clear fluid that is emitted from your penis as soon as it becomes erect. You can't control it. So even if you are able too pull out before you ejaculate, those little spermies from your pre-ejaculate are already swimming towards her cervix, going egg hunting.

So why not save yourself a pregnancy and a disease or two. Just use a condom. They're cheap, easy to use, help you last longer, and prevent pregnancy and disease when used properly.

Schedule and STD screening for both you and your girlfriend. A pregnancy test might not be a bad idea either. Meanwhile, read this entire website.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a dumb question...and I'm very glad you're asking! Because 'pulling out' is in no way, form, or fashion a method of birth control! Pre-ejaculate contains sperm, so even if you don't ejaculate inside her, lots of those little guys are swimming fast and furious toward her uterus!

So, here's what ya do. First thing, both you and she head out to the clinic and get tested for STD/STIs. Then get a BIG box of condoms and start using them!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi happy,

what you are doing there really isn't birth control, but more of a pregnancy waiting to happen. Oh, and an STD Infection, too.

Seriously.

What you are doing there is NOT AT ALL effective. Pre-ejaculate contains more than enough sperm to cause a pregnancy. And you two have no STD protection, either.

I recommend that you stop having unprotected sex immediately, get yourself informed on real methods of birth control, get an STD screen for both yourself and your partner (and a pregnancy test for her, too) at a local sexual health or planned parenthood clinic and start protecting yourself from both pregnancy and STDs.

In addition, take a good look at:

Birth Control Chart

Pregnancy Risks

Safe Suund & Sexy

Readiness Checklist

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And are we three scary, or what?

------------------
Caro

Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Happychap,
Well first off, don't feel like an idiot. "Pulling out" is not a very good form of birth control. It's a very high risk when it comes to pregnancy and STD's. In pre-cum there is semen, so your girl friend is at a high risk of getting pregnant. STD risks are high too. So i'd say you both should go get checked out for an STD screening. When in the future when you two decide to have sex, use a form of protection like condoms, or birth control. But the best protection from STD's and pregnancy would probably be condoms and birth control. Good luck to ya

Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, very. Nothing like that good old Scarleteen brainwashing. ::sigh:: Those MG days... they're back up, anyone want to go play?
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

I just registered there again, how about you?

Let's go play!

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too tired tonight...but as soon as I get time, we'll see...
Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

I registered too, different name and no direct links if I can help it.
happychap
Neophyte
Member # 4343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happychap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all very much

... and yes ... you did scare the **** out of me.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Good. Mission accomplished then.

Now go and call Planned Parenthood 1-800-230-PLAN and make an appointment for you and your partner to get STD screens, a preggie test, a consultation re: contraception and a pelvic exam for your partner.

Today, chap. Okie? You can change your behaviour today, so just do it.

------------------
Caro

Mahatma Gandhi

cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can DEFINITELY get pregnant with pre-cum.
i'm not a Sexpert, but I know.
I got pregnant from it.
Condoms are good things!

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SlowCookie:
when no contraception is used, you have a 50% chance of getting pregnant. So if you have sex twice, there's a 100% chance your girlfriend could get pregnant.

ahhh oh my scary. i never knew it was that high. i guess when you think about it. wow. good thing i'm not having sex.

Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
psst...cookie!

assuming the odds of getting pregnant in any one instance of unprotected intercourse are 50%, that does not mean that if you have unprotected sex twice you have a 100% chance of getting knocked up.

although i am not condoning unprotected sex or saying that it is unlikely you will get pregnant if you have it, we should try to be logical.

the odds are, apparently, 50% per instance of unprotected sex. this is a dubious statistic in the first place, seeing as in where did i come from?, we say this:

quote:
I've heard that the chance of becoming pregnant is the same as the chances of winning the lottery. Is that true? All in all, in any ONE experience of intercourse, that isn't a bad analogy, if you're talking about winning the one grand prize, not those dinky ten-dollar numbers.

however, barring the dubious quality of that particular statistic, even if the chance of getting pregnant from having unprotected sex once was 50%, that wouldn't mean that if you did it twice you would get pregnant. it's like flipping coins. you have a 50% chance of getting heads each time, but that doesn't mean that if you flip the coin twice you will get heads. you can't add the odds like that. it doesn't work.

however, we should keep in mind that if you have unprotected sex over a period of time, that is when the risk rises dramatically, reaching 90% over a lifetime, according to the aforementioned article.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Actually, in the stats that we use for the birth control chart, the failure rates given that over the course of one year of practising a certain form of birth control, X% of couples will get pregnant.

So 50% means that if you imagine 100 couples not practising birth control, half will be pregnant after a year. Some studies that are around actually suggest that the number can be even higher for younger couples.

------------------
Caro

Mahatma Gandhi

Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you can get sex education and maths education here- what a site!

(Just to nitpick further, I presume you mean that after one year, 100% will have gotten pregnant, not 100% will be pregnant, as that wouldn't include those who've had an abortion, miscarriage, or given birth, right?)

Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

yup, Mr Nitpicker - "will have gotten pregnant" .
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Thanks for the statistic lesson, Em. My mind went on vacation way before the AP and IB tests were even over. That and I'm not a math person... I'm surprised I know how many shoes to put on in the morning.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.