Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control
JerseylovesJames
Neophyte
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JerseylovesJames     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of useing birth control but I dont know how to ask my parents about it. Do you have any tips on what I should say? Also if you go on birth control are there any side affects? Thanks!
Posts: 5 | From: Oneco, Ct, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jersey,

You can find out about various types of birth control here:
http://www.scarleteen.com/reproduction/birthcontrol.html

As for a good way of talking to your parents about it, try talking to them hypothetically, e.g. "What if..." This will give you a better idea of haw they might react. Even if you are uncomfortable talking to them at first, most parents are a wealth of experience waiting to be discovered.

Good Luck,
Winnie :0)

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is one of those things that you have to be straight-forward and honest about. Do research on the various methods of birth control, become well informed. Then breach the topic with your parents on a good day, like when you're feeling especially close to them and can talk about this. Maybe start off like, "Mom, you know James and I are in a good, healthy relationship. And lately, we've been thinking of having sex and we would like to do it responsibly..." I don't what your situation is but that's just an idea. I applaud you on being open with your parents and wanting to be informed and responsible. Good luck!

Here are 2 sites you might want to check out:
Planned Parenthood- Methods of Birth Control
Contraceptive Choices. ThriveOnline

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I am with the Cookie on this one.

Cheate a situation when you are alone with one parent, so don't start it at the dinner table with everyone around or when your parent is stressed.
How about a mom & daughter trip to the mall or a walk together or a long car ride somewhere or just anytime you are together and no one is likely to disturb you?

Bring across that you really worry about both pregnancy and STDs and want to protect yourself the best that you can. And that your mom's input is important for you
and that you'd appreciate her help in finding a good gyno.

Good info is the key - in addition to what the others have linked to, you'll find a big chunck of links to good sites on contraception in the resources section of "reproduction".

Good onya for wanting to be open about your sexuality with your parents. Wishing you all the best for opening communication!

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.