Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Boyfriend is clueless

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boyfriend is clueless
sunshine_1ofakind
Activist
Member # 3215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine_1ofakind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

When my bf and I are making out and get so far he tells me that he doesn't know what to do and tells me to take it from there. I don't want to just "take it from there". He has only had sex with one person and from what I can tell, it wasn't a good experience. I want to show him what I like, but I am kind of afraid to do so. We plan on having sex in the future but he says he doesn't know what to do. Should I just get over it and show him what to do?

Posts: 61 | From: Mayfield, Ky | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Exactly, hon. Tell him.

Your boyfriend isn't psychic and his admitting that he has no clue is a great point to start off. - At least he doesn't think he kows it all and you don't need to tell him that what he has been doing has been bad.

So take the leap and start voicing your needs & encouraging him to voice his, too. You can start out as easily as just moving each others hands or giving feedback when something does feel good. Move on to more talking when it feels comfortable.

I also think making sex in general an everyday topic and discussing it lots (why not use some of our articles as starting points)- just like you discuss other things that are important to you - helps you be more vocal about your needs in the bedroom, too.

I'd be glad to move this to Sex Basics so that others can add their advice on how to communicate with your partner(s), too, if you want.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
moving to Sex Basics.

So everyone: how do you bring to your partner across what's on your mind?

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, exactly as Alaska said...talk to him about it. Definately bring that discussion out of the bedroom, lay all the cards on the table and have it all out! I've found personally that making sex a part of 'normal' discussion between my partner and I has not only made our physical relationship better, it's also made our entire relationship that much closer.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_1ofakind
Activist
Member # 3215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine_1ofakind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I don't really talk about sex, so how would I come about bringing up the subject? All we have said is that we want to sometime in the future. I'm not afraid to talk about sex, but he is really shy. How could I bring it up without embarrassing him?
Posts: 61 | From: Mayfield, Ky | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that would be the first clue that he's not ready for sex in a relationship ... If you can't talk about it, you really shouldn't be doing it.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Sunshine, I think Smurf has a good point here. Being able to openly talk about sex is extremely important. - If you can't talk about safer sex and birth control, your relationship isn't ready to carry the risk of pregnancy and STDs, which simply comes with being sexually active.

So how can you bring it up? I recommend to be blunt. Print out an article from here (like the readiness checklist) and tell him you'd like to discuss that. If you want to seriously be around this guy in your birth suit (and the other way round); you should be off the "shy" thing when your life & future are concerned.

In addition, after watching a movie or TV series that deals with sexuality or whatever, use that as a starting point to bring your view on things across: i.e. "I think it's really cool that Felicity went and got tested for STDs before having sex. Worrying about STDs is just as important as worrying about pregnancy." Or whatever else.

It really depends on the type of conversations you have, but I bet there are many opportunities to bring sex up. And I promise, the more you discuss sex, the easier & more normal it gets.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

sunshine_1ofakind
Activist
Member # 3215

I just wanted to thank you guys for all of the great advice. I told my bf that I wanted to talk about sex and he said that he did too. And we talked about it and everything turned out great. I was just afraid that he would be embarrassed b/c he didn't know what to do. He told me that he wanted me to show him and I plan too. Thank you guys for all the help. It feels really great to have someone to "talk" it over with. thank you!!
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

well done, gal! See - communication works.
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the first couple times my boyfriend and i had sex it hurt me. i didn't say nething to him though, he was having too much fun i suppose.
by the 3rd time we did it i couldn't stand it ne more.
i told him to try and move a little because he was hitting me at a bad angle.

he felt so bad! it was kinda cute actually, but after that, everything went smooth.

definatly talk to him. how can he get mad at you for being honest?

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.