Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Is it healthy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it healthy?
Glitter Princess
Activist
Member # 995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glitter Princess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone, after a long break I'm back. My parents took me offline until after finals and regents.

My boyfriend and I were talking the other night about sex and such. Thanks to this site mostly, we always wear a condom, along with astroglide (thank goodness I came to this site!) and are very cautious. We talked about it before we did it for awhile and I waited until I was 100% comfortable and ready. Thanks you guys! Okay back to the question, we were talking about pregnancy and what would each of us want to do, even though we've had this conversation before and have looked into options, and I was thinking. Is it healthy for someone who is 5'2 and 95 pounds to give birth? Is that okay for the girl and the baby? I'm not pregnant, the question just popped into my head. I have always been small for my age, and I have my period and I eat a large amount for such a little person! I have always been really thin and I was wondering if it was healthy if I when I decide to have a baby(in the future) and maybe still had this body type? Thanks!

------------------
"Why do the good girls always want the bad boys?"

Posts: 70 | From: a boring life in a boring town with the same old crowd | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, women of all body types have been giving birth for a long time. And the majority of those births are successful. So I'd say you have little to worry about, it might be uncomfortable depending on your hip width and such, but I think you're okay.

------------------
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying "THAT WAS AWESOME!!"

If there's no chocolate in heaven, I ain't going

I Love You Dan!!

[This message has been edited by FlirtieGirlie (edited 06-27-2001).]

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For this sort of thing, you have to go to a doctor. It would depend on the size and positioning of the baby and all sorts of things. But you should be seeing a doctor anyway, when/if you get pregnant
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glitter Princess
Activist
Member # 995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glitter Princess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I was just pondering hehe. There's not much else to do on a weekday before work starts in the summer.

------------------
"Why do the good girls always want the bad boys?"

Posts: 70 | From: a boring life in a boring town with the same old crowd | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
depends on the size of the infant you are carrying and the diameter of the opening of your pelvis. can the baby's head fit thru there? is its angle okay for natural birth? how is the effacement of the cervix?

my relatives are small folks and many of hem have c-sections because their bodies cannot accomodate natural childbirth.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, as long as you eat healthily while pregnant (you'd be eating for 2!) and put on enough weight, it should be fine, although you may not be able to have natural birth. My mom was a very skinny gal (5'6, 110 lbs) when she was preggers with my brothers and they were just fine (except the umbilical chord was wrapped around his neck a few times so she had to have a c-section).

Another thing to take into account is the size of the father. My cousin is only 5 foot, her husband, on the other hand, is 6'4". Naturally, she had a c-section for a rather large, but beatiful baby

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mankind used to be MUCH smaller, up until we learned to produce large amounts of food and prevent diseases, largely through no longer letting the streets be the sewer...I don't know exactly when. But have you ever seen the doorways, clothes, and suits of armor from the mid-millenia? They're tiny! Doorways about 5 1/2 feet tall! People used to be much, much smaller and gave birth okay or we wouldn't be here. Quite a few races are significantly smaller than the average American and manage to give birth well enough to become extremely over-populated.

It depends on the RATIO of your size to your babies size. Your size, by itself, really isn't an indicator.

Although, there are a lot more women running around who are incapable of giving birth to infants than their used to be due to medical advances...but I think minor surgery sounds much less painful and scary than vaginal birth.

Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think it would be ok...my aunt is 5'4, very thin, and my uncle is 6'3 and like...180-200lbs. i have 3 cousins, all who were delivered naturally, so apparently it can be done
Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're safe. I'm 4'11(not pregnant)
and my mom was 4'10 and weighed 95 pounds when she had my older brother. He was prolly a medium sized baby(haha) and everything went fine, despite him being a couple of weeks early.

He always was the problem child, haha!

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.