Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » AIDS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AIDS
aquaholic17
Neophyte
Member # 3462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aquaholic17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I am posting this in the correct place, but here goes nothing. Today, my class was hacing an argument about aids. Can the virus be passed through saliva? We thought that it couldn't, unless there was a cut in your mouth, but no one is really sure.
Posts: 12 | From: Can-ad-a | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you cant unless you drink, 50 gallons of saliva. I read that somewhere.

AIDS cant be contracted from toliet seats, kissing, sharing a fork or spoon, or just being by a person who has AIDS.

AIDS can be passed by unprotected sex, or sharing/using drug needles.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 05-30-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinupGirl
Neophyte
Member # 2820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinupGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saliva definitely doesn't transmit HIV or AIDS...
FYI--some things that do transmit the virus are:
Blood
Breast Milk
SEmen and Vaginal Secretions...

Posts: 32 | From: Sacremento, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For more answers in regards to HIV transmission, check out this info from the center of disease conotrl at "Body positive":
http://www.thebody.com/cdc/faq/transmission.html

For more ressources, we had a thread on HIV/AIDS recently: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000775.html

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One proof that you can't catch AIDS through saliva is that it's ok to even share your toothbrush with a person who's HIV positive...

------------------
~Sallynha

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very minimal risk of HIV transmission via saliva. HIV antibodies are present in the saliva, which is why it is possible to test for HIV with a spit swab. but the chances of getting HIV from kissing a person with the virus is slim, unless there are open sores and/or cuts in the lining of the mouth or on the tongue.

cheap plug: i'm doing AIDS Walk SF July 15, are you? http://www.aidswalk.net

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.