Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Gynecologist?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gynecologist?
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When (or under what circumstances), in general, should a teenager begin going to the gynecologist? I've heard eighteen or when she becomes sexually active, I've heard thirteen, I've heard fifteen, I've heard...well, you get the idea. Just for the record, I am fourteen and a virgin in all aspects of the term.

Also, should a woman go to a general practitioner as well as a gynecologist, or just a gynecologist?

Thanks a ton!

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The general concensous seems to be 18 or when you become sexually active. It's also recamended that you still see your regular doctor in addition to the gyno. From personal experience, I'm 16 now, and I went to the gyno before I became sexually active so she could help me decide on the best form of birth control for me.

In your case, unless you are worried about something, you probably don't need to see the gyno just yet.

~magpie

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From our fab article here at Scarleteen. Your First Gynecologist Visit

quote:
In fact, after you begin your period, you should begin the habit of having an annual (yearly) exam with a gynecologist. Your regular doctor (general practitioner, or GP) can't do the best job of determining your vaginal or reproductive health

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my mother thinks I should start going, but then other people have told me I don't need to, and I've never had any problems like yeast infections...just thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

When did you guys start going to the gyno?

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
going to the gyno is a good idea once you've started menstruating (but don't schedule your appointments during your flow).

i started going when i was 17, even though i reached menarche at the age of 13. i was having problems with my menstrual cycle.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the GYN at age 10 Take that!! LOL

I had problems w/ all sorts of infections and whatever... i only went once and all she did was look.

I haven't been to one since b/c i can't get a damn referal

Point being ... the general concensus (sp?) around here is to go once you start your period.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal opinion on this is to go as soon as you possibly can. The particular health care plan I was on didn't let me go until I turned 17, but I think that's ridiculous. And yes, sometimes you have to get referrals.

But I wish, wish, wish I could have gone when I first started my period, if not shortly before. It would have quelled a lot of my fears while going through puberty, thinking about sexual activity, practicing birth control, etc.

So if you have the choice, go for it!

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started going to the gyno at 15, which was well before I started having sex at 18.

I had problem periods, which is why I first went. But, even after I dealt with that problem, I went every year. Just thought it was a very good habit to get into.

typically, the gyno is the only doctor i visit yearly now. I only go to my GP if I'm sick, or need a prescription refilled. My gyno is very, very, very thorough so I feel confident with her evaluating my overall health.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.