Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » What happens if...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What happens if...?
Brenda_91
Activist
Member # 3771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda_91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I'd like to say that I am really proud of my boyfriend and I. If you recall, we've had the sex talk for awhile now. Anyways, yesterday was his prom (so so so much fun-- he brought me roses along with my corsage :-)), and after prom, we had a whole house to ourselves. We both decided that yesterday wasn't the day to have sex-- we just haven't (still) figured out all the details, so it wasn't the time. I'm happy to say we stuck to it. I am telling you all how important it is to have a boyfriend who RESPECTS YOUR LIMITS. Mine does, and its a very important thing. You should respect his as well. Anyways, one of my "requirements" for sex is that he understand how my birth control pills work. I want to be able to answer all of his questions, but I have a question that I am curious about: What happens if you lose a pill? There are instructions on what to do if you miss some and you have them all, but what if you lose one down the sink or something? Does that ruin the effectiveness totally, or will the high protection level of the pill start again when you open a new pack? I'm very curious! Thanks again for all your great advice!

Happy Memorial Day!!

--Karyn, who completely fell in love with her boyfriend again last night :-)

Posts: 60 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww that's so sweet It's very important to set limits for yourself and your bf ... But you knew that

Umm ... I don't know what i'd really do if i lost a pill down the sink. I can't say i've ever had that problem I guess that is just a missed pill day and you have to double up protection wise w/ condoms and spermicide ... which you should be using anyways unless you've both been screened for STD's and have been monogomous for 6 months+ (Yeah ... I think that's it)

------------------
For I am a bear of very little brain and long words bother me.
~ Winnie the Pooh

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The smurf is right. I can't tell you a whole lot about the pill, but being extra careful and using a condom is a most excellent idea. If you've been in a monogomous relationship for a year, and you've both tested and come out clean at least twice...well that's about as safe as you're going to get for not using a condom. But, that does not mean you aren't at risk for STDs or pregnancy. So it's really better to stick with the condom and the pill. But I might skip the spermicide. It turns out that alot of people are allergic to spermicide, and if you have an allergic reaction to it, then that increases your risk for STD transmission.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the deal with the pill is that if you miss one, call your Dr. and they usually tell you to resume the next day, normal time, rather than taking 2 the next day. You should definitely double up with condoms on this one for the duration of that cycle (but since you've been to Scarleteen, you double up anyway, right? ).

If you miss more than one pill, doctors usually advise just starting over for the new cycle with a new pack of pills. Definitely use other birth control methods until you can start that new pack.

Pills can be very confusing, can't they girls?

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a quote from the user info in my pill pack:

"if you miss 1 white "active pill": take it as soon as you remember. take the next pill at your regular time. this means you may take 2 pills in 1 day."

so yes, it is ok to take 2 pills in one day. this is evidenced by the morning-after pill, which is basically just a big dose of BC pills. (birth control pills are not like antibiotics or other meds that you can't double up on)

as for missing more than one pill, that depends on whether you are taking tricyclic or monophasic pills, and what week you're in. in general though, yes, you just toss the pack and start a new one.

about losing a pill: this almost happened to me once! i dropped in a drawer and i had to dig around a bit but luckily i found it. after that, i read through my trusty pill instructions, and i discovered that they advise that you keep an extra pill pack around, just in case. so you'll have extras. (i suppose they could just put extras in the pack, but you know that people would screw it up and take the extras like they were regular pills.)

anyway - the moral of this story? read the instructions!

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenda_91
Activist
Member # 3771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda_91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping an extra pack is a great idea. I've read and re-read the instruction packet many times, and it says stuff about MISSING a pill, but not LOSING a pill. I got home from prom after 3 AM, and I popped a pill out and put it on the dresser. I now remember taking it with me to the bathroom and taking it before I brushed my teeth, but I was so tired that I thought I forgot to take it! Since my bf and I are thinking about having sex, I was panicked-- I want to be okay with my birth control. Birth control is relatively simple if you take one pill everyday like you're supposed to, but if you miss more than one day... better keep that intruction pack!

--Karyn

Posts: 60 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinupGirl
Neophyte
Member # 2820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinupGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...here's the deal (if you haven't already gathered this)
If you miss one pill, take it as soon as your remember (even if it isn't the normal time that you take it)
If you miss two pills, take two pills at the normal time the next day and the day after that
If you miss three pills, call you doctor right away!
Also important to remember is that even if you just miss one pill you should start using a different form of birthcontrol (like a condom or spermicide et al) for fourteen days

Posts: 32 | From: Sacremento, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Em is correct – what you have to do in case of a missing pill depends on what kind of pill you are on. And having an extra pack is the best. I once managed to crush the last pills I had left in the blister at the bottom of my backpack. Duh.

Planned Parenthood has a nice overview on what to do when on what pill when xyz happens:

”Staying on schedule matters”

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Country Girl
Activist
Member # 3380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Country Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Brenda! Communication is the key!
Posts: 80 | From: VT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.