Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Ortho Tri Cyclen and Condoms--

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ortho Tri Cyclen and Condoms--
Brenda_91
Activist
Member # 3771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda_91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I are thinking about having sex. I just surfed on to this page tonight-- I read the checklist-- you can bet he's going to be getting the link tonight --and I am very impressed by it. We know we want sex for all the right reasons-- we will be safe, we have never had any other partners, and we love each other. The only reason we wouldn't do it is because of risk of pregnancy. We both have high goals and bright futures, and do not want to risk that. We feel fairly confident that it won't happen, since I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for acne since October, and am still taking it CORRECTLY, and he will for sure wear a condom CORRECTLY. I know that the failure rate for birth control pills (Ortho specifically) is less that 1% when taken correctly. If Tom wears a condom correctly, will that bring our risk to zero? Thanks so much for your greatinformation!
Posts: 60 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear, sad to say nothing except abstinence can bring your pregnancy risk to zero.

Using a condom and birth control pills will reduce the risk of pregnancy drastically but there will always be a tiny chance you might get pregnant. Accidents and unforseen circumstances can happen.

You might also like to check out these other articles which might be useful.

Pregnancy Risk Assessment

Birth Control Options

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're use of condoms alone reduces your risks of pregnancy and STD's significantly. I think it's something like 98% ... ??

As for birth control, i think it depends on what kind you're on. Most are at least 99% effective. But nothing is 100%. Only abstinence and even that gets kinda tricky when you get technical ...

Whatever you do, do not double up w/ the condoms. Your risk of breaking both of them is extremely high and it's just not necessary. One is enough ... And don't forget the lube

------------------
"Did you know ... you can have intercourse on Saturday and get pregnant on Monday?? Don't know how? ASK!"

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, quick statistics lesson

if condoms are 98% effective, they are 2% ineffective.
if pills are 97% effective, they are 3% ineffective

0.02 * 0.03 = 0.0006
you have a 6 in 10000 chance of getting pregnant if you are using the pill and condoms.

feeling lucky by that, i mean proper pill and condom use is your best bet. and here, we give a big thumbs up to Durex latex condoms and Astroglide lubricant. enjoy!

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenda_91
Activist
Member # 3771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda_91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your responses. This really helped me out. I cannot say how wonderful this site is! I've sent my boyfriend here for the condom guide and the sex readiness checklist and more! If there's one thing I think we're doing right, it's talking OPENLY about this. This is one thing we don't want to screw up. Thank you again!

Karyn

Posts: 60 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always glad to help, Brenda

------------------
"Did you know ... you can have intercourse on Saturday and get pregnant on Monday?? Don't know how? ASK!"

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to say congratulations for trying to go in to sex as educated and safely as possible. There are so many problems that could be prevented if there were more people like you in the world.

Smiles

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.