Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » intoxication and sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: intoxication and sex
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well some books that have to do with sex, and involve trying a lot of new things, sexually and mentally, suggest that you may want to drink, or get intoxicated by other means to loosen youself up. (That is with your partener when you have both discussed the event and all)what do you think of this?
Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem to me that if a person had to anesthetize part of his/her brain in order to have sex, then s/he hasn't passed the sexual readiness test. Alcohol can relax you but it can also badly impair your judgement as several contributors to these boards have already mentioned.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-10-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its the difference between having a glass of wine with someone to get the mood right, and having a few shots of tequila to make your date look passable. ;p

Its a question of intent - whether you're drinking to relax and enjoy the company of someone you care for, or if you're getting tipsy to try and deal with something.

------------------
This mind intentionally left blank

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL @ ThisGuy ... you crack me up

But i'm somewhere in b/w ThisGuy and Bobo. Part of me says it's wrong at all ... But the wine thing w/ dinner seems fine. It all depends how much you mean to drink and why you want to drink in the first place.

If you can only have good sex when you're semi plastered ... Well that can't be good.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'twas the Bard who said in MacBeth that alcohol "inflames the desire, and hinders the performance."

too much alcohol leads to lowered judgement and increased risky behavior. this is why i don't think booze is very good for sex and why ppl need to be a lot more careful at parties.

too much alcohol also hampers a woman's ability to self-lubricate, and makes it tougher for guys to maintain erections. neither of which make for very good sex.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what books you've been reading, but they were obviously written by authors who don't know a thing about the human sexual response cycle and how it works, or about understanding consent.

Gumdrop has excellent points. Studies have shown for a long time that having sex under the influence massively impairs judgement, and people who would usually use condoms and safer sex practices or effective birth control tend not to very often when inebriated. In addition, at Scarleteen, it is important we remind everyone here that if you are under the legal drinking age, you cannot lawfully drink.

And lemme tell you: if you ever end up in an acquaintance rape situation and were unlawfully drunk, you royally screw yourself when it comes to having a case.

In other words, just not smart. Not to mention the negative effects it has on sexual response.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.