Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Yeast Infection Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast Infection Question
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked all over for information on this but can't find it, maybe someone here knows!

First of all, I've had 1 yeast infection in my life, which I actually went 2 months with before I went to my gyno (bad I know). My gyno had me treat it with Monostat-3, it went away fine. That was about 5 months ago.

Now I think I might be in the beginning stages of another yeast infection. I'm at the slightly itchy, buring stage, but it's really not that bad, just a little annoying. But I definitely recognize these symptoms, and last time they just got worse until I went to my gyno to have her tell me I had a yeast infection. So my question is, do I have to wait for the yeast infection to be a full blown yeast infection to treat it?

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"Those are some BIG ice cubes...."

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the tell-tale sign of yeast infection, the white cottage cheese-like discharge, I say get it treated with a 3 or more day cure. If you aren't, but are concerned about the itchiness, go visit the doctor to confirm whether it is a yeast infection or something else.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Live culture yogourt put in the vagina shouldn't hurt either. It's a bit messy, but nice and cool and soothing, and even if you don't have a yeast infection the bacteria in the yogourt's still good for you.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that once the symptoms start to show up you should start to treat it. I have read that if you left a yeast infection untreated it could resolve by itself and soaking it water could help but that could develop into severe pelvic infection. So i say, take the treatment right when you start feeling the symptoms. Hope i helped
Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will not go away on its own.

If you use yogurt to treat, you can treat as early and as often as you want. In fact, my doctors have even told me to treat with yogurt preemptively, because I'm prone to frequent infections. It can't hurt you, and it might help.

If you use commercial treatments, the problem with treating when you might not actually have an infection is that you'll kill the weaker of the yeast that live down there (yeah, they're there all the time at low levels) leaving the stronger ones to breed. Eventually you'll have yeast that resists treatment. No fun. Same problem as with antibiotics, basically.

If you're not sure it's a yeast infection, go to the doctor and find out. If you're really confident it is (and once it's happened enough, you know what it's like!), treat it *as soon as possible*. There is no reason to wait.

It really is bad to leave it untreated, especially for months at a time. Left untreated it can cause permanent cellular damage to your vaginal tissues, including the ones that supply lubrication that makes things fun for you and makes it possible for sperm to swim up and meet your eggs. Which is to say, yeast infections that are left untreated for a long time puts you at a low, but real infertility risk. You're very very probably fine!, but please don't let it happen again!

Please see this older thread for a little more on yeast infections.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your replies. It definitely didn't turn into a full blown yeast infection, it just felt like the beginning of one. So I tried the yogurt last night and felt fine this morning, so hopefully it's working. I was also wondering if maybe I had an allergic reaction to spermicide, since I used that a few days before. I've never had an allergic reaction before though.

Anyhow, I have a doctors appointment in a week and a half so I'll bring up all these questions/concerns then. Thanks again!

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"Those are some BIG ice cubes...."

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job for catching the spermicide as a possible culprit - it's amazing how many women have reactions to the stuff.
Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to be *allergic* to spermicide to have it irritate your mucous membranes or to have it upset your delicate little ecosystem. Even if you don't always notice it, chances are good it's still having an effect. If you really want to use spermicide anyway, I recommend the vaginal contraceptive films, just from personal experience.

Also of course, everybody needs to remember that because spermicides are irritants, whether minor or not, they do increase the risk of STD transmission.

Glad the yogurt worked!

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bgchick
Neophyte
Member # 2345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bgchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! i read some of the replies, and i was wondering, how exactly do u use yougurt?? where do u put it? how? and what exactly does it do? sorry for the dumb questions, but i need to know!!!! thanks
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From our STI File on Yeast Infections:

quote:
Yogurt is also very helpful. You can use it (organic and plain yogurt only) as a poultice (something you apply to the skin) on or inside your vagina, by simply spreading it with a finger. Given this is more than a little messy, its really only a good remedy for bedtime. In addition, simply eating plenty of natural yogurt (especially when on antibiotics) helps protect and restore the healthy bacteria in your body.

Eclipse has shared this lovely tip with us:

freeze some organic yogurt in an unused cardboard tampon applicator, peel of the cardbopard - and voila, there you have your one dose of yogurt ready for insertion.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LarissaG
Neophyte
Member # 37695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LarissaG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend about a week ago and right after, my vagina started to hurt, really really bad and everytime I had to urinate, I would get a burning sensation. After about two days, the burning went away now it's starting to itch, real bad. Could this be a sign of yeast infection or did I catch something from my boyfriend? HELP, the itching is driving me insane!

--------------------
Larissa

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recurring thrush and want to ask why I'm getting it now, because, the thing is, for years I barely washed my hands, went for weeks without bathing, seldom laundered my bedsheets, sometimes didn't change my underwear for days, humped the chair in my room, sometimes walked around without anything covering my bottom half (my dad was very liberal:), and I never got a yeast infection or had any vaginal or genital health problems, and now I shower daily, wash my hands regularly (and always before and after masturbating), change my underwear regularly, launder my sheets and dressing gown once a week and my bathing towel twice a week most of the time (I think I could probably stand to be a little more careful about changing my sanitary towels regularly, but I get thrush about a week before my periods, generally), yet I get thrush every month, and it does make me angry when everyone says the problem is my poor hygiene, because I know that can have an impact, but it's clearly not the only, or necessarily even the main factor, I even got the change your bathing sponge after you've just taken the treatment (the treatment I've been using is one oral tablet, Fluconazole, I think, and it always worked until this month) advice, but I just made sure to wash it thoroughly with shower gel straight away if there were any feces or thrush discharge on it and to always soap and rinse it out at the end of every shower (I always shower, I don't like baths all that much) regardless, and I've never gotten a repeat infection until the next month (so I'm guessing it has something to do with my menstrual cycle), I'm even getting paranoid about washing my genitals when I have thrush now in case somebody makes me change my bathing sponge every day or something. It is occurring to me that I probably ought to make sure to change my bathing sponge every one to two weeks just to avoid it retaining bacteria, but I think I might get more benefit trying live yoghurt, the other thing is I've been told to cut down on my sugar and fat intake, but I would find that really difficult. Finally, for whatever reason, thrush is not really all that uncomfortable for me, I'd rather not have it, but it's not itchy or sore and really, if my choices are not eating a nice pack of choc brownies when I'm stressed out versus having not really all that uncomfortable thrush I'd prefer the thrush. Sorry if this was more statements than questions, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

[ 05-08-2009, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jill: more times than not, yeast infections are thought to be about dietary issues, NOT about hygiene. So, if you have been given dietary suggestions -- and you do eat a lot of simple sugars and simple crabs -- then those likely are your best best when it comes to ceasing the chronic thrush.

Adding live cultures is also something which will likely help, though there remains a standing argument in repro health circles if it's useful when eaten -- rather than when used directly in the vagina -- or not. I'm personally inclined to fall on the side of live cultures being useful both ways, through diet and vaginal insertion.

You might also consider, if you've been stuck in the cycle of doing a lot of standard treatments for it, having a look at some other ways of dealing with it that are less harsh on your body. This is a longtime fave page of mine for DIY ways of dealing with yeast when folks know that's what they've got: https://www.msu.edu/~eisthen/yeast/yourself.html

(I very, very rarely get thrush, but when I do -- and mind, I usually catch it RIGHT when it starts -- I find that dissolving two lactobacillus capsules in my vagina over a few days and/or using fresh garlic works very well for me.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I don't want to give up all those lovely simple crabs! Seafood is my one true food love!

Seriously though, I would find it really difficult to stop eating simple carbs, or even cut down all that much. Is it true that fat causes it as well or is that just standard "you glutton, see how your love of tasty foods is the cause of all the problems in your life" nonsense? I really don't want to stop eating delicious things.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple carbs really are a big culprit when it comes to yeast infections, especially chronic ones (fat doesn't seem to be as much of a problem). It may not seem like it's possible, but changing your diet will likely make a huge difference. Even simple steps like eating brown rice instead of white, whole wheat pasta instead of regular, or whole-grain bread instead of white bread can help. Healthy food does NOT need to be unenjoyable either - good recipes are important, but it can definitely be done.

I've had quite a lot of personal experience with this, and I was skeptical that changing my diet would work, but after almost a year of near-constant yeast infections I was willing to try pretty much anything. I wound up seeing a naturopath who put me on a strict diet for a month, and then slowly reintroduced things like pasta and bread (but whole grain instead of white) and voila, the yeast infections disappeared. I haven't had one since - that was almost three years ago now - and I'm pretty darn sure that it's due to keeping up those good habits.

In short, making even a few small changes in your diet is likely to help a lot more than you'd think.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.