Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » question about lube.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question about lube.
TwistedAngel13
Neophyte
Member # 3551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwistedAngel13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may seem like a very naive question...but how do u use lube.?? like where exactly to u apply it and such??
Thanx for the help

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You apply a few drops around your genital area, but you can use as much or as little as you want. And add a few drops to the inside and outside of the condom.

My bf and I prefer astroglide, which is usually at any drugstore.

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"What kind of paradise am I looking for? I've got everything I want, and still I want more...."- Ani

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to what Siren said already...there are a couple of things to remember when you're buying lube. First of all, make sure that it is a water-based, condom-safe lube. This is very important. Anything oil based is going to break down the condom in a matter of seconds. And second, get the lube without the spermicide. I know it sounds like just good added protection, but actually alot of people are allergic to that stuff, so in addition to maybe getting all itchy and red, you're also increasing your STD risk.

So, to recap...lube is good stuff, you can buy it at most grocery stores, drug stores, or chain stores (ie. Target, Kmart, etc.). Make sure it's condom-safe and water-based. And stay away from the spermicide. Around here, we're partial to Astroglide, although you may prefer something different (ie. KY or Bodyglide, or another brand).

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was with a bunch of friends and we discided to see if Vaseline would really disinigrate a condem....it did!! it was so fun to whatch!! so always remember- nothing oil based!!
Abby

------------------
When a player makes a play, hes considerd a pro; when a girl take a turn shes considerd a hoe

watch out i spell like a 2nd grader!!

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlinkN*boys182:
I was with a bunch of friends and we discided to see if Vaseline would really disinigrate a condem....

Nice... Not so abusive as pouring salt on slugs.

------------------
"Sometimes people care too much. I think it's called Love."
---Pooh Bear

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i put vaseline on a condom once. i posted a thread about it eons ago. but in short, i inflated 2 condoms, tied them up like balloons, and then spread vaseline in a long line along the side of one. about a minute later (timed it with a watch), the condom popped. meanwhile, the condom without vaseline stayed inflated for several days, until i finally popped it by stepping on it.

i give my endorsement to Astroglide. yea! in a more perfect world, i'd spread the stuff all over my feet and go sliding around the halls in the library.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its amazing how little things can keep people amused!
Abby

------------------
When a player makes a play, hes considerd a pro; when a girl take a turn shes considerd a hoe

watch out i spell like a 2nd grader!!

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, me and be tried the condom/vaseline thing and it didn't work! the condom refused to desintegrate. not that that proves anything, but we were annoyed.

bodyglide is, for the record, a silicone- (not water-) based lube. silicone-based lubes are just as safe for condoms, and we love them too.

i HATE astroglide! i think it's sticky and stringy and disgusting! lol

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.