Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » post prom pressure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: post prom pressure
Nookiebabe16
Activist
Member # 2190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nookiebabe16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, ever since I can remember *not that long since im only 16 :P* I have been hearing about the post-prom nookie situation. Everyone has made a big deal about losing your virginity after prom. I mean cmon that is basically the premise of "American Pie"! I was wondering how that got started? Does anyone actually think it is romantic to have sex in a tacky hotel with your prom date? Personally me and Mike will be having a good time after prom, no nookie involved How did you all deal with the pressure..if there was any? Thank you much!!!
Posts: 58 | From: Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know I think people have sex on their prom day because people think that it fits perfectly. The beautiful prom dress, the pretty hair, and the nice hotels (here we have them at nice hotels).

Thats just what I think.

You should also do what you feel. If you dont want to have sex, then dont. There shouldnt be any pressure, Im sure that your boyfriend will understand. Your there to have fun, not worry about sex.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amongst my friends, there doesn't seem to be any sex-after-prom pressure. Actually, I totally forgot about it until recently when I was talking to a friend about our upcoming prom. I was more aware of it when I was in 6th grade watching Beverly Hills 90210 than I am now. Honestly, I think we're more concerned with what we're wearing than who's having what kind of sex with whom. As strange as that may seem, it's true.

------------------
You know, Hobbes, sometimes even my lucky rocketship underpants dont help. -Calvin

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I just say that as a Singaporean, I am absolutely fascinated by this post prom pressure thing.

And silly me thought it didn't actually happen.

But I believe sexual intercourse should only happen when you are ready - want to check if you are ready? Head for our Readiness Checklist

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No post prom nookie for me! I have to be home right after it's over so no post prom parties either. That's a good thing, everyone thinks my prom date is going to rape me or something!

------------------
If you're gone - maybe it's time to go home
There's an awful lot of breathing room
But I can hardly move
If you're gone - baby you need to come home
'Cause there's a little bit of something me
In everything in you

~Sexy Rob Thomas, 'If You're Gone.'

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never really feel pressured to do anything. But as far as the prom goes, none of my friends felt pressured, either did I. It was more about being able to dress up really nice, have our hair done, feel girl like, and just have fun together before we graduate.

Of course I did have after prom sex, but I didn't have to do it, I wanted to.

You shouldn't feel pressured to do anything with your boyfriend you're not ready for. I don't think sex should be something that happens when you're supposed to do it, but rather something you do when you're ready. If someone doesn't understand that, just ignore, and have a wonderful time with your boyfriend (without having sex!).

------------------
Lil Siren

Read My Thoughts...

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nookie,
How at 16 did you vote last year?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nookiebabe16
Activist
Member # 2190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nookiebabe16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for confusing you Miz Scarlet. I did not vote in the national polls because obviously I am not of age. i was referring to the school poll. I WOULD have voted if I could have. Sorry for any confusion my terminoligy might have caused.
Posts: 58 | From: Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uhh, after prom, i got in my car and drove my date home. then i gave him a hug and went home. what pressure?

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay.

You know, these are the moment when I know I am from a different generation and background.

I can't think of anyone in my high school who would have *been* a virgin the the one senior prom (of sorts) we had. Even if there had been, our prom was a nice, fun hangout session where (given it was an arts school) we were our own musicians, and everyone just had a fun night playing dressup in a cool hotel by the lake.

We all shared rooms, and I don't even remember a sexual overtone involved at any point. It was just a mellow, good time.

Besides, I brought my girlfriend and my male best friend, and I wasn't the only one with a same-sex date or a platonic date by any means. Funny how these "virginity" issues tend to just fall away when you exit a heterosexual mentality, stage left, or when the no-no factor of sexuality just is moot.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pressure? Sex? Geez...I must have gone to the wrong school!

At my prom, my girlfriend-at-the-time and I had a novel idea...we both worked at a grocery store and wanted to invite another couple from another school to our prom. So I took my friend James' girlfriend to the prom, while my girlfriend brought James. We had a blast doing that, cheating the system a little bit

After prom, eight of my friends and I dropped off our dates and met in my front yard. We all had our surf/body boards with us, and we iled into my Dad's minivan and headed on down to the beach. We each pitched in 4 bucks and got a small motel room, and spend the rest of the weekend in the surf. No sex, no pressure, just a bunch of guys and the beach. Like I said, I must have gone to the wrong school!

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-26-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.