Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » The Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey i want to start taking th pill to regulate my eriods because now they come about every i dont know and theyre all always different heavinesses. for eg one month it came for 12 days and i didnt have another for two months and then it came for about 6 days.
But my mum whos a doctor says that i shouldnt start taking the pill util my periods regulate is this right or what??
i dont want to take them for a contraception or anything because i havent had sex yet and i dont plan to in the near furture when it happens it happens.
So should i ask mum again or is she right??

Posts: 82 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i think it might be best to listen to a doctor's opinion - how old are you? it's normal for your periods to be irregular for the first 5 years, so maybe thats what your mom means: that it will get better by itself.

Tout est au mieux dans la meilleure des mondes possibles

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless your periods are incredibly heavy, painful and constant (like every two weeks), its probably better just to wait for them to regulate themselves.. but if you are in that situation, I'm pretty sure that there are some "low strength" contraceptive pills (our brand names here in NZ will be different to your ones in the states) which are used in younger people and not intended to be used soley as contraception. These are the ones I got put on when I was 13 for a really heavy period..

I'll see if I can dig up some info for ya

Scarleteen Advocate, not to be confused with Advocaat

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an FYI: the pill does NOT work to correct or "regulate" cycles long-term.

In other words, it will only appear to do so while you are ON the pill. Once you go off it, it will not have "fixed" your menstrual cycles in any way.

It's normal for cycles to be irregular for the first few years of having them. And it's also normal for a woman's flow to vary.

So, be sure in looking to "correct" something, that it really needs be corrected. The pill carries it's own risks, and has negatives as well as positives. An irregular cycle won't harm you in any way.

Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.