Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » IUT's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUT's?
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard about this thing for contraseptives, a IUT i was wondering if you could tell me more about it and what it is.
Thanks

------------------
I'm going Nucking Futs
Abby:)

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible that you mean "IUD"'s?
IUS is the abbreviation for "Intrauterine device". They are made of flexible plastic and contain either copper or a hormone and are placed in the uterus, where they can remain for several years. They need to be prescribed by a doc.
The method isn't generally recommended for young women; there can be quite hefty side effects including infections and heavy menstruation.

For more general info, have a look at PlannendParenthood's Info on IUD's.

Hope that could help.
Alaska

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IUD: Intrauterine Device.

it's a T-shaped plastic thingy about 3cm long that is folded up and inserted thru the cervix and unfolded in the uterus.

It works by irritating the uterine lining, making it an inhospitable place for an egg to implant. Sometimes, they have slow-dissolving copper wire that causes the irritation. Sometimes they have time-release progesterone, a hormone that prevents implantation.

IUDs aren't the most popular form of contraception 'cause they can cause severe cramping and hemmorhaging. And I have a cousin who is living proof that IUDs fail sometimes. Still, there are a few happy customers out there who can tell it better than i can.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx, I have been looking around for different ways of protection, just cruzin my opptions

------------------
I'm going Nucking Futs
Abby:)

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too, IUDS are hardly EVER recommended for women who have not had a previous childbirth.

They are not recommended for young women as a rule.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire
Activist
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey im living proof that IUD's dont always work... my mum had one when she got pregnant with me. but thenagain shes never had much luck with contraception.
When my older sister was conceived they were using a condom same as with my younger brother and with my older brother my dad was apparently sterile from the tests done because of the radiation therapy ( or wateva it is with cancer treatment) ........
so contraceptions dont always work.
yep just thought id add that seemed appropriate for the discussion.

Posts: 82 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.