Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonio99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I never had the courage to ask this and I hope it doesn't sound like a generalization question....

but....

What do you think about sex and I'm refering to SEX with your PARTNER OR SOMEONE YOU are in a relationship with? Ok, let's make it specific... it can be oral, anal, or vagina-penis sex.

Is it fun ? An addiction ? Relaxing ? A stress reliever ? Making Love ? Pleasurable ? A desire ?

I can't answer that question because i'm a virgin. But I like to know your opinions.

As for my friends... i heard they said it's the whack of their life. And I still don't get the message but I think I understand what they mean.

Antonio99

Posts: 208 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see, antonio, when you ask these questions, i never really know if you're taking a survey and trying to figure out the "average" opinion of the ST reader, or if you're honestly interested in the individual opinions of the people who reply. do you see what i'm saying?

anyway, i don't think this question can really be answered. i think different things about sex at different times, you know? becaus sex is a lot of different things, and each of those things means a different thing to me at different times and with different partners. sex can be exultation or self-deprecation, it can be joyful or traumatic...the list goes on and on.

and honestly, i think i would have answered the same way back when i was a "virgin," you know? your friends are oversimplifying.

em

------------------
Once in awhile you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

-The Grateful Dead

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for my friends... i heard they said it's the whack of their life.

I don't blame you for not getting it coz I sure don't understand what whack of their life means.

To me, sex is sex. While making love is a totally different thing altogether. Making love to me is something that goes beyond the physical. It's very emotional and for me, a much deeper involvement.

I think making love with my bf is one of the most beautiful experiences in the world. Not only is it very pleasurable physically, I feel very close and attached to him.

And I think that's about all I can say about this topic because some feelings are just very hard to express in words.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its anything, you want or make it to be.

It is hard, its a very emotional and physical thing with your partner. You have to be ready. And yes it can be a whack on your life. Stressful, emotional. That what I think they mean.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, books, mags, TV shows, most media aimed at teens makes it sound like losing your virginity is a really life-changing moment. Like, as soon as a penis and vagina touch for the very first time, it transforms their owners into something very different from what they were before in their appearance, emotions, outlook on life, you name it. When I was still very much a virgin, by any definition of the word, I had certain viewpoints on sex, politics, and everything else. I was of medium build, and had long hair. My emotions were, well, what they've always been. When I decided to have sex . . . nothing changed. My viewpoints remained the same, I looked the same, if a bit rumpled, my emotions didn't change. Sex is likely about the same to you as it'll ever be.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like you Milke, I think I had media influenced illusions about sexual intercourse. When I first had it I was blown away by how I felt -specifically that I didn't feel any different.

It was the same thing when I first got my period. All those dorky books they gave out in school from the Kotex people made it sound so incredible. I felt absolutely the same except for the sense of it all being anti-climatic.

I have been having partnered sex for some 12 years now. I have never been a romantic person so the whole idea of "making love" is lost on me. However, I have had some amazing experiences and some down right yucky ones and whole bunch in between. Just because two people are sexually attracted to one another does not mean they are going to have good sex.

Mostly, I see partnered sex as one of many possible ways to be close to someone, but there are also other ways to do that. I don't have sex with my sister, but I feel incredibly connected to her.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It differs, it really differs. It depends on time, mood, situation. I quite like how glitter put it - "it can be anything you want it to be".
In the 6 years that I've been having sex, I've had different kinds of sex, different partners, different relationship scenarios and one night stands. And "Sex" has differed because of all those variables.

So if you're struck for terminology, my partner and I, we have sex and we make love and do a zillion other things. It simply differs. In general, sleeping with my partner is something that is a part of our relationship, a normal part (when we're on the same continent, that is). We enjoy it, it's definitely fun (and something during which we laugh) we sometimes do often, we sometimes don't. It can be relaxing or invigorating, it can be anything, really. It's not the "thing that connects us" because we connect through words and a zillion of other things that are not intercourse.
However, If we haven't seen each other for a while, for me, it's a deeper form of "recognizing him" to make love to him. - A physical way to show that what's between us is *real*. (duh, that sounds kitschy).
I really enjoy sleeping with my partner. Not only for the physical sensations, but because it's him, really. And because it's something we share and because it's something we enjoy together.

(And all that sounds kinda dumb. Am lost for words. And that doesn't happen that often to me, does it?)

------------------
"I am capable of, but sometimes not interested in making myself happy."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 03-17-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Antonio, when anything is brand new to you, it can be a far bigger deal then it is later.

So, it isn't surprising to me that your fereinds describe it that way. In high school, when I was first really sexually active, I probably would have said something similar -- it was a very big rush, I found it really thrilling and it seemed more intense than a lot of other things.

That isn't so say it can't be those things now that I'm in my thirties, because it can. However, I tend to consider it one of many, many parts of my life which are just as integral and exciting.

And it really does depend on who you are, who you're with, and how you're feeling. Sex with someone (regardless of the type of sex) can be everything from totally mind-blowing to an absolute bore. I'd be dishonest if I didn't say there weren't times in my life when I became sexually engaged with someone and fifteen minutes into the thing thought "God, will this *ever* end? WHAT was I thinking?" It happens.

Sex can be all of the things you described and much more, because it is a reflection of our emotions, and our feelings for ourselves and whoever our partner may be, so just like those feelings can be all over the map, so can our sexual experiences which MANIFEST those feelings.

(By the way, Antonio, I'm personally really proud of you. In a short time here, you've come a long way, kiddo.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just view sex as a way for humans, baboons and dolphins to entertain themselves. It also, unfortunately, leads to conception.

But as long as we keep hold of technology, sex will remain a fun way for people to express themselves.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonio99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks everyone. i really value your insights.

i never knew a whole lot of you have had experiences but I guess those were natural.

umm... what can I say ? My virginity ( no.. i have never had physical contact with a girl. No breast touching. no nothing on the body. Just kissing on the lips twice and holding hands were all i've been through )...
is something i'm not pressured about losing.

I'm at my sexual peak which is true because i'm 20. Even though I can control my urges/desires... i am always curious about sex. How does it feel and what is it like ?

I guess it's not my time yet...
peace and adios

antonio99

Posts: 208 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its wonderful that you arent pressured by sex, because thats the only reason why SOME people have sex. Its always wise to have any kind of sex when you are ready, not because you are pressured by it. Good Job Antonio

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the notion of a hormonal or physiological "sexual peak" happening at a given age in men and women is a fallacy.

Even if sexuality *were* totally defined by your hormones (and it isn't), physical development and hormonal levels vary from person to person and not on a set age.

------------------
Heather Corinna

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

glittergrl... hmmm i'm not pressured and thanks for letting me know how good that sounds.

and scarlet... I could agree that age and sexual peak vary.

But I'm more uhh... active than I was a yesterday or a few yrs ago. So sexually speaking... yes i'm at my sexual peak.

So I guess spanking the monkey is natural. I don't mean to be so sick... but I guess it's natural for some people out there or EVERYONE.

antonio99

PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by antonio99:
So I guess spanking the monkey is natural. I don't mean to be so sick

Antonio99, there is absolutely nothing sick about masturbation. It's perfectly fine. I assume that's what you were talking about because cruelty to animals is not fine in my book.:P

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lol* The only thing which probably would be really sick would be actually spanking the poor monkey.

Not one for cruelty towards animals too.

But as PoetGirl said, masturbation is perfectly normal and there is absolutely nothing sick about it. Read Hanne's fab article on masturbation for a greater understanding on the subject, if you haven't already.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I'm going to suggest something: how can anyone know in the present if they are at their peak?

In other words, we only know when we are at the peak of a mountain when we can see the valleys all around us.

If you do not know what the rest of your life holds for you in terms of your sexuality (and none of us do), you cannot truly say you are at "your peak," at any given time.

When you're 40, or 60, or better still, 80 -- THEN it'll be easy to look at the whole of your life and see the peaks and valleys, but until then, you stand to really limit yourself by assuming you're at a peak when you really only know what is behind you, not what is before you.

------------------
Heather Corinna

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.