Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » What is Cervicitis??? I am so scared? please respond

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is Cervicitis??? I am so scared? please respond
knm02
Neophyte
Member # 1828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knm02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently told by a doctor i have cervicitis?? my doctor told me that is very common in all women. but what is it and is it curable ??i was told to get a prescription for it that i would take for 5 days, but i cannot pay for it, and iam scared that if i dont get it soon it wlll get worse. PLEASE HELP ME!!
Posts: 10 | From: stone mountain ,ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cervicitis is a name for an infection or an inflammation of the cervix. It is pretty common to have this happen. And yes, if you have an infection, you *do* need to treat it, because it can get worse or spread.

However, it's not a huge big thing, it's not too much unlike getting an ear infection or something similar. And it can be treated about as easily.

Because cervicitis CAN be caused by sexually transmitted disease organisms, you really need to check with your doctor to see what KIND of cervicitis you're dealing with.

So take a big deep breath, tootsie. You'll be just fine. But do find a way to get this treated, it's important to protect your health so that you don't end up with a more severe problem down the line.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know if you have this?

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knm02, as you also have previously been diagnosed with HPV and cervical dysplasia, you have enough reproductive health concerns that I think you really need to find a means to have a regular GYN and some sort of plan or clinic that has afforbable treatment available to you. I also think given all your other conditions, taking your medication is a no-brainer.

I hope too that your current doctor or GYN is keeping up with these recurring reproductive health issues with you and letting you know what you can do to help prevent them. If not, you need to ASK, gal.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knm02
Neophyte
Member # 1828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knm02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
miz scarlet, i was not diagnosed with that, they just told me i had features of hpv which are the abnormal cells. when i received the biopsy and got the results back, they told me it was cervicitis and that i had to get on a 5 day antibiotic. i guess it is bacterial becuz they said i did not have any stds.
Posts: 10 | From: stone mountain ,ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, maybe and maybe not. There are quite a few bacteria that are sexually transmitted. Just because it isn't viral doesn't mean it isn't an STD.

Check The STI Files for a rundown on the possibilities: http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/articles.html

In other words, DO ask your clinician what the infection is. Even if it's bacterial, and even if you knock it out with antibiotics, you need to know what it was, and so does anyone you've had any kind of sex with. Bacteria can be transmitted from person to person in many ways, including sexually. If you've had any sexual contact with anyone recently (I'd say within the past 6 months), they need to know what's up so that they can get tested, too. They may not have it, but it's much better for ALL of you, you and any sexual partners you may have, if you can be safe rather than sorry with these kinds of things.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WAIT a second.

First it was the dysplasia, which you stated you had (on 2/8): http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000131.html

Then you said you were diagnosed with HPV (2/16): http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000142.html AND that your boyriend was ALSO diagnosed.

So, I am very confused and a little wary, in truth. It is VERY difficult for Hanne and I to help when users don't give us accurate information, or when they give us UNaccurate information.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 03-13-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knm02
Neophyte
Member # 1828

ok, this is the rundown. i was not diagnosed but i was told i had the features of the disease. when i had a biopsy, and the results said the abnormal cells where from cervicitis and i would take a 5 day medicine and be done with it. they said i did not have dysplastia or hpv from my results.the pap just in general said that if their was abnormal cells it was perceived to be dysplastia, but the biopsy cleared it up. so it was a wakeup call, now i will protect myself. thank god iam clean, they said i just take the 5 day cream and i will be ok.
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have so many questions, I'm wondering why you don't ask your doctor. You have the right to ask.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.