Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Worried...again...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worried...again...
mcb3
Activist
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcb3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other day, my boyfriend and I had sex. Now, I'm worried... I have been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for a year almost, and we have been together for over a year. I have never missed a pill. (Psst..and, we have been tested for STD'S twice in the past year)

Anyways, we always use condoms and the pill combined when we have sex. The other day, we didn't. I had just started my period that day.

I mean, I'm almost positive everything will be fine, and I'm not pregnant, but I always have part of me that worries. I guess the only thing I can do is take a pregnancy test in the near future, but do you think I have a great risk of being pregnant?

I've already checked out the Pregnancy Risk chart, but I wanted to hear opinions or advice. Thanks

------------------
~Breanna

Psst..Hey you ;o) Check out my **Photos Page**

Posts: 53 | From: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill is generally really good at preventing pregnancy, but the nasty thing is, it can (and does) fail sometimes, sometimes even without you making a mistake like missing a pill. Meds (antibiotics) can change the way the pill works, diarreha can, throwing up can, some long-standing conditions (like PCOS) can. - That's why we recommend to always use condoms, even with the pill.
If nothing like that happened to you during your last pill pack, IMHO, one can pretty much assume you're not pregnant. But it's only a guess. As you've already said - your best bet is indeed a pregnancy test, most good brands work about 10 days after the suscpected incident.

It's actually good that there is alwasy a "part of you that worries" - pregnancy can happen even when you're on the pill. (And there are actually lots of girls around who had that happen to them). So please, sweetie, make sure you keep using those trusty old condoms.

Good luck with the test.

Alles Liebe
Alaska

------------------
"I am capable of, but sometimes not interested in making myself happy."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 03-09-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.