Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » some infection questions.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: some infection questions.
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had my first yeast infection.
*applause*
I used a Canesten 1-day treatment, but I have so many questions. I'm damn slow, and the little booklet thingy in the box just wasn't clear enough for me.

1. It's been a day since I used the one tablet, and I've been finding crumbs exiting my vagina. Aren't they supposed to dissolve or something?

2. Why is it possible to use these tablets on your period? Technically, couldn't a gigantic clot come and shove the pill right out?

3. They say you can use the cream for up to 7 consecutive days. What does this mean? Say I use the cream once. Does this mean I have seven days to finish with the cream, and I can't use it again ever? If I use the cream three days, and skip a day, can I only use it for another four days? If I use the cream every other day, will my labia turn green and run away?

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Turn green and run away huh ... never happened to me before!!

I recently had a yeast infection and none of your questions really applied to me ...

1) Crumbs are normal i think. I had crumbs ... but my crumbs were orange coloured b/c i was on my period at the time. For the most part, your body dissolves it all. But be realistic here ... That's a pretty big pill!! As long as most of it's gone and you're not getting big pill chunks, i wouldn't worry about it.

2) Clots pushing a pill out? I wouldn't think so. I have had some pretty massive clots come out, but none have ever carried the pill w/ them. If anything, i'd think it would help the pill dissolve faster (due to extra heat and moisture) so they both could pass through.

3) I don't use the cream. I don't like it b/c it makes my vagina feel squishy. I keep a little tube of it in my medicine cabinet but i only use it in extreme cases! Maybe they say you can only use it for up to 7 days b/c if you're still itchy/burning [b]after[b] 7 days are up, it may be more than a yeast infection. Maybe that's their way of getting your butt to the doc

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had SO many yeast infections that I've lost count. I've got one now, in fact. I've never used the treatment you mentioned. I've used monostat-3, monostat-7, the storebrand version of monostat-7 (all three of those in cream form and in suppository form), and yogurt. All of those treatments have worked, and I tend to prefer yogurt.

Yogurt? What kind of crazy new age treatment is that?! Well, we've all got a lot of flora and fauna living throughout our bodies. Your vagina has an ecosystem. No kidding. The evil yeasties, Candida, live there all the time in a sizable percentage of women, and as long as they don't get out of control, they're not a problem. The friendly Acidophilus bacteria also normally live down there, and they fend off the Candida (by producing hydrogen peroxide). Yogurt contains live cultures of acidophilus, so if you apply some topically, the new reserves of acidophilus will battle the evil candida. I asked my gynecologist if it was okay to treat it that way, and she said it was, as long as it works on me. And it does work--the yeast clears up in two or three days after I start a daily yogurt treatment, the same amount of time it takes with commercial treatments.

If you have any interest in going the yogurt route, make sure you use PLAIN YOGURT with NO SUGARS. Otherwise, you're just giving the yeasties some yummy sugar to eat. Check the ingrediants and make sure they don't include any form of sugar or flavoring. Also, of course, make sure that it contains active cultures of L. acidophilus! And of course, talk to your doctor!!

The two big advantages of treating this way are that 1) The perennial problem of antibiotics type treatments, including the fungicides used to treat yeast infections, is that if used often or incorrectly, they'll quickly kill all but the resistant buggies, which will then breed and thrive and be hard to get rid of. The first time I used monostat-7, and yes, I took the full course on schedule, I got a rebound infection a week later. 2) It's a lot cheaper.

See http://www.msu.edu/user/eisthen/yeast/

Out of the commercial treatments, I prefer 3- or 7- day storebrand myconozal (sp?) suppositories with one applicator. 3 or 7 days because that'll let the yeast know I mean business, storebrand 'cause it's cheap, suppositories 'cause they've less messy than cream, and one applicator 'cause it generates less waste.

The first time you think you have a yeast infection, go to your gynecologist. Have them check it out. My gyne back home was pretty cool--she let me look at the yeast under the microscope. If you keep getting them a lot, you don't have to go see the doctor every time... there were periods when I was getting them every month, and it just wasn't practical. DO tell you doctor that you're getting a lot of them, and DO go in to see your doctor if you think you have a yeast infection but it has weird symptoms, or it won't go away.

To prevent yeast infections, wear loose cotton underwear, don't wear anything that holds sweat and moisture to your body down there (sitting around in wet bathingsuits is a no-no), keep yourself reasonably clean, after you go to the bathroom, always wipe from front to back. Spermicide can trigger yeast infections, and so can being on the Pill, and so can being on antibiotics ('cause it kills the acidophilus). I've often gotten urinary tract infections, taken antibiotics for them, and then gotten yeast infections. Sometimes I get yeast infections and then get UTIs. Very unpleasant.

Even if you do all that stuff, you might get them anyway. I got them for years before I became sexually active, and I take pretty good care of myself! I'm told that the environment down there changes over time, and that some women have problems with them for a few years, and then -something- changes and they aren't a problem anymore. I hope something changes in my body!

Yeast infections *can* be sexually transmitted, although guys often don't get symptoms... but really, I can't imagine having sex of any kind during a yeast infection. OWWWW!

Yeast infections, while unpleasant, are not as risky as other kinds of infections. Unless they're left untreated, they won't develope into a serious problem. If they are left untreated, and I mean, for a good long while, they might cause tissue damage in there. This would reduce sensation and also reduce lubrication (which might cause fertility problems later on, when the sperm don't have enough stuff to swim through). You'd have to be pretty insanely negligent for that to happen though. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh, and it would be really pretty strange to have an infection during your period. The conditions of your vagina change throughout your fertile cycle. When you're bleeding, you're more acidic down there, and that kills some of the yeast, if I remember correctly. Even an untreated yeast infection will subside around that time of month, although afterwards it will blossom up again. At least months that I've charted my cycle, I've gotten yeast infections right before ovulation.

I think you can use the cream (presumably a topical cream to treat the itching symptoms?) whatever days you like during the week starting when you took the treatment tablet, but not after that. If you're still itchy a week after you took the medicine, throw out the cream and go to the doctor.

Yeeesh. That was probably more than y'all wanted to know. (sheepish smile)

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 03-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 03-04-2001).]

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay!

------------------
My menstrual diary

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was fabulous information, Eclipse. And Yogurt is a great cure, for all the reasons you mentioned.

I should also add that there are a couple of homeopathic yeast infection cures on the market that also work very well on the same premise. Yeast-guard is the one I'm familiar with.

Ask about it at your local natural foods store.

Posts: 67046 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Miz Scarlet!
Although I must say, I rather wish I wasn't quite *such* an expert on them... :P

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was great info Eclipse! I know I just got my very first yeast infection in December, because I was on antibiotics, then again in January, more antibiotics, and also the fact that I was too busy to make a trip to the gyno unitl the second infection I just decided to ditch work and get it treated!

I used Monostat-3 and so far no yeast infection so hopefully it got rid of it! All the other questions were answered but for the cream, it said "as needed" meaning if you need it, use it. But the tablets are what treat the yeast infection, right? (I'm new to the world of yeast infections) I only used the cream because I was very much soar and in need of relief. But the 7th day I didn't use it at all because I went on a road trip, I don't think the cream is the important stuff though.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You just close your eyes slowly like you're waiting for a kiss, and hope some lowly little power will pull you out of this..."

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grrf.

So I went up to the student pharmacy (Purdue has a pharmacy school, and it's the only pharmacy within walking distance, and I didn't have time to take the bus today) to get a yeast infection treatment.

They claimed that the only 3-day yeast infection treatments were prescription only.

So now I've got the seven day one. Bleh. sorry, but a whole week of that just doesn't thrill. (Yes, I'm doing it anyways, and I've been to the doctor for them in the past, and she said to just get a three day treatment unless I was having symptoms that might indicate another kind of infection...)

Can I safely assume that the pharmacy interns were misinformed and correct them on my new trip?

Muttergrumble.

Erin

[edited cause erin can't type tonight]

[This message has been edited by ErinK (edited 03-08-2001).]

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

I would guess that they were misinformed, because 1-day, 3-day, and 7-day treatments, both name brand (like Monistat ( http://www.monistat.com ) Yes, it's spelled with an "i.") and storebrand (Eckerds, for me) are available over the counter. I can get them at the local pharmacy or the local grocery store, and I bet Wal-Mart has them. They're a big industry, partly because they're 1) over the counter and 2) a lot of women aren't in touch with what happens down there. Personally, I still recommend yogurt.

Is there a difference between 1, 3, and 7 day treatments, you may wonder? Yes and No.

No: There is no difference in how quickly your symptoms go away. Whether the treatment is 1 day, 3 days, or 7 days, you can expect your symptoms to be gone in about three days.

Yes: 1 day treatments tend to be more expensive than 3 day treatments, which tend to be more expensive than 7 day treatments.
1 day treatments are taken once.

3 day treatments are taken 3 times. 7 day treatments are taken 7 times, even if your symptoms are gone by 3 days.

If there's a reason that your infection might recur (you're on antibiotics, for example) go for a seven day treatment to keep the buggers down.

----------

The cream: To my knowledge, the cream that's packaged with many commercial yeast infection treatments is just a topical antihistamine. Like what you'd put on mosquito bites. I tried to use some the first time I had a yeast infection (which was the worst one, 'cause it took me longer to realize what it was), but it just irritated me down there. Fortunately, I only tried a tiny bit. I recommend that if you've never used a particular cream before, you test out just a little too... no sense in ending up more miserable. You do not have to use the cream. It does not help the treatment at all, but only treats the symptoms. Sucker for pain that I am, I usually don't take medicine to mask my symptoms, but hey, if you're really miserable, whatever works.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eclipse rides again! Girl, you are so on it.

And those creams are usually indeed hydrocrtisone creams that are intended to make you more comfortable -- unless the treatment you're using is a suppository, the additional cream isn't part of the cure.

And as suggested before, yogurt is not only a good cure, it is also soothing. So heck, if you're going to have your vaginal canal full of glop, it may as well ne natural organic glop, eh?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67046 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

I have no idea where I'd find natural yogurt. I don't think my health food store sells yogurt.

Also, I'm not even 100% sure it's a yeast infection, but my doctor recommended Canesten, so I used it. It honestly feels more like a UTI, I even get pains in my bladder, but the urine sample came up negative; no bacteria. So, she said to use the Canesten, and then come back and we'll see from there...

------------------
My menstrual diary

Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

I don't know what to tell you about the bladder pains... normally, of course, I'd say "Go see a doctor!", but you already have! Your symptoms should be almost gone by now... they're not? When did the doctor say to call back? Did they test the urine sample there, or did they send it off to a lab for culture? The latter usually costs extra, but I have them do it when I have the money, just to make sure I know what I'm dealing with. I don't think I've been to a doctor where they could test my urine sample then and there and give me definite results--that's my least favorite part about UTIs, is that I have to start taking antibiotics without knowing for sure that I have an infection. Did your doctor take a swab and test for an overgrowth of yeast? 'Cause that only takes a few minutes and can be done right there. As far as I know, they can pretty much just look under the microscope and see that there are lots of the buggers, which there shouldn't be.

Wow, no yogurt? Really? The easiest sorce for plain, unsweetened, organic yogurt that I know of here is, I kid you not, Super Wal-Mart. I've never been quite sure about using it though, because it has active cultures of four or five different friendly bacteria, not just the familiar acidophilus... so in that regard, I have a question of my own, which is, what are the other bacteria used in yogurt, and do any of them normally live in the vaginal ecosystem? Presumably they normally and beneficially live in the human intestinal tract...

Back to the topic at hand. Do you have an organic market? Surely they'd carry organic yogurt. I mean, yogurt and granola is like, the mother hippie health-food stereotype. If they really and truly don't and you really want organic yogurt from a known source, then get a yogurt maker (or if you're super dedicated, just use the oven set on low) and a box of yogurt starter and some organic milk, and do it yourself. Given the luxury, this is what I prefer to do. If you're not that dedicated, and not as concerned about rBGH as we all probably should be, then a plain old storebrand (here in the southern US, that would be Publix or Winn-Dixie) cup of unflavored, unsweetened yogurt will work just fine, and be at least more wholesome and comprehensible than myconizol (sp?). This is what I do when I want a quick fix... walk the fifteen minutes down to W/D (no, it's not the Whole Earth Market, but to a member of the intentionally-carless like me... location, location, location), and plunk down 79 cents for a cup of storebrand plain unsweetened active culture yogurt that is nice and cool and soothing and will last ages longer than a $16 - $20 treatment. As Miz S. said, you can also look for acidophilus based yeast infection treatments at wholistic medicine stores, or whatever you call them (no, not my area of expertise )

I really hope you feel better soon!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.