Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » What age?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What age?
Atoms
Neophyte
Member # 2888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atoms     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

What do you guys think the minimum age to have sex is?

Thanks

Posts: 7 | From: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisygirl
Neophyte
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so i think sex and when to have it is not determined by age, really... i mean, okay, so say you're 10... then maybe its really not time for you to have sex... but i think that its up to the individual... whether you are ready for sex or not... no one can tell you when's the right time...
i used to wonder that, too, though... but i've come to realize that with the right person and how ready i am... that determines when i'll have sex.
hope this was helpful!

------------------
i'm gonna clear my head, i'm gonna drink that sun. i'm gonna love you good and strong while our love is good and young.
--indigo girls

[This message has been edited by daisygirl (edited 03-01-2001).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about everywhere, there is a legal age for sex. Which is to say, do it any younger or with someone below it, and you or your partner could be facing some serious trouble, including arrest and imprisonment.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to assume you mean sex with a partner.

There are indeed bounds of the law to be aware of. If you aren't aware of the age of consent laws in your area, look here for a general guideline: http://www.ageofconsent.com

From each country and state, you can look specificially at other detailed laws realting to sexuality and consent to see how they play out and are enforced, as that differs from place to place. If you're confused by this, call your city hall and ask about it. Even minors are citizens and you all have the right to understand what laws apply to you and how they apply.

On an emotional evel, check our readiness checklist: http://www.scarleteen.com/sexuality/readiness.html

My guess is that your average 14-year-old isn't going to be able to look at that checklist and really have/do/feel most of the things on it. On the other hand, I know 40-year-olds who couldn't either.

But a good golden rule is this: if you can't take care of and be fully responsible for your own body, mind and emotions, you probably aren't ready to really dig deep into someone else's either.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my suggestion is that if you're thinking about what a minimum age might be, you're having doubts and looking for excuses why you shouldn't have sex. don't have sex if you're feeling that way! now might be a good time to think about why you want have sex. (if this is you you're talking about - if it's a friend, it might be a good time to talk to her about her reasons.) just don't rush into anything that you don't think that you're at heard ready for, sweetie.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MINIMUM? Is whenever you are ready, now I dont suggest that you have sex when you are 10 years old. But a lot of factors are involved in sex (any kind) and people dont realize it. Some people have sex when they arent ready and wonder why they ever did that. You have to be physically ready as well as emotionally and metally ready. You have to be ready you accept the consequences.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What ever age a person is ready for sex is a good minimum age for them. I'd say that there can be a 13 year old who is ready for sex completely, and that there's a 40 year old who isn't ready at all. And at sometimes in your life you may be ready and other times you may not. I could be 15 and entirely ready which would be a good time to have sex, or I could be 35, depressed, self injuring, which probably wouldn't be a good time to have sex because I can't even take care of myself and make myself ready! So it varies from individual to individual, from year to year

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveable me
Neophyte
Member # 2915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveable me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the checklist on this website. I was interested in the emotional checklist especially. I think if i had followed this i would never would have had sex because many of the things i learned on the list i only learned through experience in relationships. I think the first two are the most important for a young girl (or any girl):

1. I am able to create limits (to say no when I want to) and can trust my partner to respect them at all times.

2. I can assess what I want for myself, and separate it from what my partner, friends or family want.

I think these are essential all through life.

Posts: 28 | From: København, Denamrk | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.