Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Can someone clear this up for me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can someone clear this up for me?
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I have had these questions for a while..but I forgot to ask em. Anyway, I plan on getting married sometime in Junior year of college (I'm a senior in high school at the moment)..and well, since that does involve sex, I would like to know some things. (By the way, I'm not planning on having sexual intercourse before I get married). 1. I always thought that, when I do get married and have sexual intercourse, I'm not going to go on the pill (birth control), and that I'm only going to use a condom because people have told me that the pill makes you gain weight. Is this true or is it a myth?
2. I'm allergic to *everything* (milk, wool, penicillin, SCHOOL..lol.., and alot of other things), and I know that it's possible to be allergic to latex (condoms). Well, since I haven't had sexual intercourse, I wouldn't know if I'm allergic to it or not. I'm scared of being allergic to it though. Are alot of people allergic to it? Also, is there any way I could find out if I am *before* my junior year of college? (lol) Thanks!

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ashley, I love ya, gal, but sometimes I want to bop you on the head.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but doesn't it seem a little bit -- erm -- odd to be planning a year to get married rather than figuring you'll get married when you meet a person you'd LIKE to marry and who would like to marry you? Come on, babe. What's going on here?

1) The pill makes some people gain wieght. Not all, some.

2) Rub a latex condom on your genitals or your mouth if you're really curious. Or try on a latex dress. But you know, there are condoms made of polyurethane, not latex, for that purpose.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even easier: score a latex glove (a medical exam glove). Put it on. Wear it for a little while. See what happens.

Keep the hydrocortisone handy in case you *do* get a reaction to it.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"doesn't it seem a little bit -- erm -- odd to be planning a year to get married rather than figuring you'll get married when you meet a person you'd LIKE to marry and who would like to marry you?"

Miz S., I have found someone who I would like to marry and who would like to marry me. I don't really know for sure that I'm going to get married in junior year of college, but I think it will probably be around then. But who knows..we'll probably run into problems like we might not have the money then, or something else..I just know that we're hoping to marry sometime in college.

P.S. If you ever feel the need to "bop" me in the head, please do..sometimes I need a good smackin'..lol!! ::laughs:: Miz S. you truly are the greatest

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i gotta wonder what's the rush with gettin' hitched so soon. why not finish school first? married couples qualify for certain kinds of housing and financial aid, but (please correct me if I am wrong) it is not possible to still be listed as a dependent (dependent on your parents) when it comes to tuition and stuff. Given the cost of school these days, that's a tough thing to give up.

As for the Pill and weight gain, i already told the story, but in short, you only gain weight if you don't watch what you eat. Stay off the junk and you should be fine.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill can cause weight gain, but not in everyone, and only 4-5 pounds A YEAR, so it's not significant. And if you exercise regularly and eat healthy you won't gain weight at all. Plus, there are other birth control methods besides the pill that you can look into.

As for the latex, it is pretty rare to have an allergic reaction to latex in a condom. But if you do, it won't be a serious reaction, just irritation for a while...you won't die or anything Even if you are allergic to latex, you can use polyurethane condoms, which are made pretty much just for people who are allergic to latex.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert about condoms, but they make condoms that aren't made out of latex. And don't make it a big deal about getting married right then. I'm with a guy who I truly love, and I we are really hoping to get married someday, but we're just taking life as it comes.

Smiles

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.