Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » IUD with Hormones!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD with Hormones!
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this very interesting (and biased) story:
FDA Approves Hormone-Releasing IUD
Perhaps the Scariest-Sounding Birth Control Ever
January 3, 2001 The FDA has recently approved a new contraceptive intra uterine device, or IUD, that also prevents pregnancy by emitting low doses of a hormone that acts on the uterine lining The IUD, to be sold under the name Mirena, is said to be 99 percent effective in preventing pregnancy for up to five years, and up to two million women worldwide have used the device, which will debut in the US in early 2001. The IUD is one of the least popular methods of birth control in the US, where women still remember the Dalkon Shield, an IUD that caused infections, miscarriages and some deaths before it was banned in 1975. The new hormone-squirting IUD should be about as popular as a spiky contraceptive sponge injected with sperm-killing botulism. Keep on making birth control easier and easier, guys

What do you all think of this?

Personally, I do find an IUD to be much less than pleasent, and certainly wouldnt use one.

www.bust.com
------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 01-12-2001).]

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thought of that grosses me out ... I wouldn't use IUD's at all. I'm fine w/ birth control pills and condoms. It may be a pain in the butt, but it's all i'm comfortable w/ right now
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks?

Please remember the copyright issues in the registration guidelines. Posts here need to follow copyright law unless you have express permission from the source for use.

Pink sweets, those look a lot like newsreels to me, and if you're going to list them here, you need to do so within copyright law, either by not using them, by using them with a source credit or credits, and so forth, unless they state where you got them they can be copied into public domain (which is unlikely).

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh god I'm sorry! I only met to copy the one story . Lemme fix it!

I was going to edit it to the exact link, but I couldn't get it to work. I'm sorry !

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 01-12-2001).]

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hormone-laced IUDs have been on the market for years. Typically they are small plastic devices with copper wire and time-release progesterone. They are folded up slimmer than a drinking straw and slipped thru the cervix where they unfold and fit in the uterus. In addition to the progesterone action, the copper dissolves and causes an inflammation in the uterus, making it difficult to conceive.

That's the IUD in a nutshell. Thing is, despite the drawbacks, it is an option for those women who for some reason or another cannot be on the pill or sterilized or something to that effect. It's a last resort.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have an iud. of course without the hormones, but it last up to 10 years and i havent had any serious problems with it. i got it because i like the fact that it lasts along time and can be reversed at anytime. as for howmone squirting ones, i dont know if i would get that. but if other people want to thats their choice

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by the way the iud was not a last resort for me. i just cant remember to take the pill and wanted something long term. i have the copper one, there are two different kinds. one lasts for one year and the other last for up to 10. i just chose the iud and asked for it. it isnt that bad it is 99% effective and you dont have a pill everyday. the best way to avoid infection is to be in a monogomous (sp) relationship. that way there is less chance of infection.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One word: cramps.

No IUD for me.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.