Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Urinary Tract Infection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urinary Tract Infection
karina582
Neophyte
Member # 2181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karina582     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I read some of your articles on STDs and other health issues, and realized that all the symptoms that I've received is due to UTI. Not only did I have the symptoms of UTI but it scared when I used the bathroom and it seemed as if a mixed of blood and urine came out. (ek-it might be because I just finished my period a few days ago, but I don't want to take the chances!) I've been doing some research and reading on how to get better-and so far the pain and irritation is slowly going away. I've also been prescribed some antibiotics to kill off the bacteria. But throughout this whole ordeal, I was just wondering that when I get better and the infection is gone, if I was to like have sex or soemthing with my boyfriend, would he get it too? I noticed that you posted UTI under STDs-so it worried me a little. And also, I just wanted to know-I mean sure I'm getting better right now, but what is the worst that can ever happen to me? I read that it can damage your kidneys-but my other fear is that an infection like this, esspecially at where it is located-can maybe cause the inability to have kids. If you can answer these two questions-it would be great! Thank you for the advices on your articles-it really helped!! )
Posts: 38 | From: Irvine, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're getting your UTI treated.

The reason we list UTIs as a sexually transmitted diseases is because they CAN be a result of bacteria that are transmitted during sex. However, you can also get UTIs that have nothing to do with sex, or when you aren't having sex with a partner. I mean, babies get UTIs, so this is not an exclusively sexually transmitted thing we're talking about here.

HOWEVER, urinating after penetrative sex can be very helpful in preventing UTIs that might be sexually related: it will help flush out the urethra.

In a really horrible worst-case scenario with an untreated UTI that your body couldn't overcome via your immune system, your kidneys could become infected, which could lead to renal failure and possibly death. That sort of thing is exceedingly rare. But it's still a good reason that it's always an excellent idea to get any UTI treated as soon as you think you have one.

UTIs are highly unlikely to affect future fertility. Your bladder and urethra are not connected to your vagina and uterus and ovaries. They're entirely different structures.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had one uti about 6 months ago and now i get them all the time. if you are taking the antibiotics then the only other thing you can do is drin alot of water. i have one now but im not on anything for it. im just drinking nothing but water and it seems to be clearing up but i know that it will come back so i am going to the doctor too. my husband has never caught a uti from me, i wouldnt worry about that.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karina582
Neophyte
Member # 2181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karina582     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say thank you so much for the reply!
Posts: 38 | From: Irvine, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to say that, as Hanne said, urinating after sex REALLY helps.

I had UTI once early last year and after having it treated, it came back again within 2 weeks. The first doctor was horrible. He never asked if I had sex and all he asked was "Did you just come back from your honeymoon?" I was like huh?

The second one asked me about my sex life and told me to urinate before and after having sex. It has never come back since.

These things really hurt don't they? Hope you get better soon.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uggh. hate UTI's. i hate the feeling of getting punched in the gut every time i go to the bathroom, which is like 10 minutes during a UTI. uggh.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karina582
Neophyte
Member # 2181

Sigh. So I think I am HEALED from UTI!! Thank GOD THE PAIN IS GONE! But-funny thing happened last night-I discharged clear stuff...ek! I usually discharge clear stuff two weeks after my period, I heard it's stuff to help the baby slide out when you're pregnant or something and it's perfectly normal. But the thing is-last night's discharge was kinda thicker than the usual. EK! Ok going into gross stuff now I know!! :O But after getting the UTI is it normal to do that or is that a sign that there's something wrong? Maybe I'm worry for nothing...but it's better to be safe than sorry Oh by the way-THANKS GALS for answering my Qs!!

------------------

quote:
"Mistakes are lessons of wisdom"-Mariott Hotel Freeway Sign

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.