Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Waiting for sex!? Is it a problem?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waiting for sex!? Is it a problem?
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay i am total virgin and i mean complete virgin the only thing i have ever done with a guy is kissed a guy and personally thats all i want to do at my age, which is 15. My problem is that i am scared that my boyfriend might want to do stuff like that... and i want to wait to do all that stuff till i am married. My question is if your girlfriend said she wanted to wait till she was married would you not be able to wait and break up with her or would you understand??? I am positive that i am waiting till ia m married and i am not changing my mind but i really want to know what a guy would do if in this situation?
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, Rachel?

Many, meny young men have talked to me who felt the same way you do, except it is often worse for them since women and culture tend to assume they don't want to wait, or assume they want to jump at every sexual opportunity. In other words, it's assumed that a male is always ready, which puts a whole lot of undue pressure on them.

If you're asking me personally, I would have been happy to work within anyone's sexual limits -- and did -- but in the same vein, I would have made it clear to them that I didn't view sex and marriage in that way myself.

What you're asking really depends on each person and why they want to be involved with you. if someone simply wants a sexual relationship, then you propbably aren't cimpatible. If they see sex as one part of a larger whole, then it can probably work out just fine.

What I will say is what I usually tell all people -- everyone needs to know their sexual needs and their sexual limits, and needs to do the best they can to communicate that to their partners. If you're honest with people you're involved with and tell them you don't want to have any sort of sexual activity pretty early in, then they're able to judge if that jives with what they want, just like someone who tells you they DO want those things is giving you the fair chance to think about if that can work for you.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.