Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth Control Bummers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Bummers?
Defily
Neophyte
Member # 1855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Defily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This in no way relates to me wanting to be on birth control or anything like that, I just heard this and I want to know if its true.

1. That doctors say however long you are on Birth Control (ie 2 years) you should wait at least that long before having kids?
2. If you are on birth control for a long amount of time, it can make it much harder to have babies.
3. If you have a baby while on birth control it can have brain damage/other retardations
4. If you skip the sugar pills in your packs in order to have no period it can cause bad effects.
5. If you skip the sugar pills every so often, but not all the time, it will make your period stronger the next time.

Thanks. I just wanted to know the correctness of these things.

------------------
j.e.a.n.n.i.e
Error: No Theme Available / Jeannie

Posts: 17 | From: Iowa City, Iowa, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you're talking about is the birth control PILL. Birth control is a broad term meaning ANY method used to prevent pregnancy.

quote:
Originally posted by Defily:
This in no way relates to me wanting to be on birth control or anything like that, I just heard this and I want to know if its true.

1. That doctors say however long you are on Birth Control (ie 2 years) you should wait at least that long before having kids?

It really depends on each individual. Most GYNS I have encountered simply advise waiting about one year before conception.

quote:
2. If you are on birth control for a long amount of time, it can make it much harder to have babies.

Not necessarily.

quote:
3. If you have a baby while on birth control it can have brain damage/other retardations

Absolutely. That's one of the many reasons we advise continuing to use condoms if you are taking the pill. It's also why I would not advise any woman to be on the pill who does not believe in abortion, and thus would feel she had to have a child she conceived while on the pill, if that happened.

quote:
4. If you skip the sugar pills in your packs in order to have no period it can cause bad effects.

That's not true at all.

quote:
5. If you skip the sugar pills every so often, but not all the time, it will make your period stronger the next time.

...and that isn't true either. the sugar pills are placebos -- meaning they do nothing save helping you to stay in the habit of taking a pill every day. You can opt to take them or not to. It's up to you.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By 'skip the sugar pills' I think Defily meant go right on to the next package of actual pills, and yes, if I recall right, that does make the next period a little bit heavier.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thank you Milke.

If that is what you meant, you shouldn't skip that week off your pills and push through to the next cycle (thus skipping your period) without your GYNs approval.

Your body NEEDS to menstruate. When you do not, you risk very vital aspects of your health, and you incline yourslef to a greater risks of uterine cancers.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.