Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » painful ovulation???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: painful ovulation???
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok ive noticed something else about when i have painful intercourse. sometimes i get these "shooting" pains though my body about in the area when my ovaries are. and the only time i have painful intercourse is when this happens. it does it kind of often though. and sometimes really bad and sometimes not. i wanted to know if you think that it could just be painful ovulation or something else. i dont know exactly when i ovulate but i think it is when iget the pains. if this makes any sense. i know you cant diagnose i just wanted to know what you thought thats all. i will eventually go to the doctor. by the way i know that it has nothing with my iud becasue i had the pains before my iud. any thoughts? i did a search for painful ovulation and they all came back to have intercourse. and thats not my case. (sorry im rambling)

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is such a thing as pain at ovulation, called "Mittelschmerz" (German for "middle pain" which refers to the fact that ovulation tends to occur toward the middle of the menstrual cycle). However, because Mittelschmerz usually happens only briefly and once during the cycle, I don't think that's what you're dealing with.

More on the phenomenon called Mittelschmerz can be found here, in the online Merck Manual (the online version of one of the best and most reliable general medical textbooks around). Scroll down to "Menstrual Cycle" and start reading: http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual_home/sec22/232.htm

Honestly, koger, go to a doctor NOW about this, not later. Recurrent internal pain during intercourse can be a sign of a lot of very serious things, including pelvic inflammatory disease, cysts in the ovaries, and various types of infections. It's not something to just ignore.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.