Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » STD'S Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STD'S Question
KevMezz
Activist
Member # 558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevMezz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have asked this before but i have the memory of a goldfish.

I not had sexual intercourse at all, I'm now 18 but when I was four I had a blood transfusion and I know that the blood I was given was tested for HIV and other STD's (so my mum says anyway so must be right) But could I have any std's now.

I know it sounds stupid but that me for you better to know now before I have sex rarther than after.

Posts: 118 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look, honey, it depends on so many things.
The only way you can know (and it has been long enough to tell) is to get a full screening for all types of STD's.

This is the only way to put your mind at ease.

entropie

[This message has been edited by entropie (edited 09-25-2002).]

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hate to say it, but the chance is there. It's really small and highly unlikely, but a transfer of any bodily fluids is a risk. However, i'm sure the hospital and goverment are good about scanning the blood the receive and give out. It could mean big trouble for them if they don't ...

As for the sex issue ... If you're worried about it, before you get into that situtaion why don't you go get tested? You could both go and make sure things are all hunky doory (good) anyway. That would be the responsible thing to do ... for both your sakes

In the meantime, there's nothing wrong w/ just using a condom!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kev,

If you went for follow-ups with the dcotor after your transfusion and since then, you've likey had an HIV test or twelve, so why not just call your doc and ask when the lest one you had was?

Because it can takes years, even a decade or so for HIV antibodies to show up, the easiest thing to do is just get tested every year. That's what we do.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevMezz
Activist
Member # 558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevMezz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Oh goody more pain (sigh) my life would seem wierd without it... but oh well gotta be done I guess, surely it can't hurt more than when I had my spleen removed....hope no anyway or I'm not gonna be a happy chappy.

Ok so what will they do when I go to get tested...just a blood test?

Posts: 118 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't painful. Blood and urine. Easy stuff. No worries.
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevMezz
Activist
Member # 558

Blood and urine tests....thats all...phew thats good...I can do that easy because I do have regular blood tests can't remember when my last urine test was though
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to look into the possibilities of hepatitis B and C, too, but if blood's being drawn anyway it shouldn't make matters much worse.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my daughter had a blood transfusion when she was 2 months old. i have had the same worries. i plan on getting her tested for everything possible . it was an emergency so we could not have her father donate the blood. i have been worried since before she got the transfusion. i dont really trust doctors because they are not perfect and they do mess up.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

If it eases your mind any, koger, the likliehood of someone contracting HIV from transfusions is the last ten years is little to none whatsoever.

Once the medical community became aware that it was being transmitted that way, they began HIV screening blood donors.

I still think getting tests is a good idea, but you can probably put your mind a bit more at rest about it. It is unlikely.

KevMezz
Activist
Member # 558

Well I have to be vactinated for *EVERYTHING* because I have no imune system because I had my spleen removed in 1997 because it wasn't doing it's job and was enlarged so I'll be on tablets for the rest of my life and I have to be "well protected" so I have regular blood tests. I'm all upto date with my boosters, flu and hep jabs.

so surley if i had HIV or something it would have show up by now, I have never had any sexual contact

wuwuwuwu1
Activist
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wuwuwuwu1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone has never had any sexual contact with anybody, what STD's can you get?
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can read all about STDs, including ways that you can catch them from both sexual and non-sexual contact, at
http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/stds.html

You can also read about getting tested for STDs at
http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/testing.html

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.