Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Period issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period issues
Alex
Neophyte
Member # 1632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. My girlfriend lives quite a way from me (200 miles, give or take) and so we get to see each other rather infrequently. Unfortunately, her periods are very irregular and LONG... Usually one of the 11 days of her period falls on the date we've set to meet each other, so we can't really do anything, even though we both want to very much. I can only afford to go and see her once or twice a month usually, and due to her irregular 11 day periods, it's very hard to guess when her next one's gonna be (Her last one was just 13 days after her previous one)

I was wondering whether anyone had any advice. Could the pill be used to shorten her menstrual cycle, or is there anything else we can do?

Thanks in advance!
-Alex

Posts: 11 | From: London, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Periods, especially during the first years of one's menstrual cycle, can often be erratic and irregular.

That being said, if your girlfriend has concerns about her menstrual cycle, the best person to consult with is her gynecologist. It's a good idea for her to get regular checkups if the two of you are planning on any kinds of sexual activity, and also for her general health.

If she goes on a form of hormone-based birth control such as the pill, it will affect her periods. Many women (myself included) experience shorter and lighter periods while on the pill; however, other women may find that their cycles are unaffected or affected in different ways.

It's important, however, to understand that the pill is only effective in preventing pregnancy, and offers NO protection against STDs and STIs. This is why it's important to use barriers such as condoms, dental dams, and latex gloves when engaging in sexual activity, because those do help reduce the risk of spreading STDs and STIs.

Using barrier methods while your girlfriend is having her period can also be a way for the two of you to engage in sexual activity. There is nothing wrong with engaging in sexual activity when a woman is menstruating as long as the two of you are comfortable with it. (It is a bit more messy, but that's what towels are for.)

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have her talk to her gynocologist. Now I don't really know too much about it, but I know from little conversations with my mom to being in the room when my mom's talking to people that with some people the pill can change. My mom has a 9 day period although it's very regular, and all 9 days of her two week vacation to Hawaii were going to happen. So she went on the birth control pill for a while so that she could switch the pills or something like that. Of course she talked to her gynocologist about it and it was all scheduled *a lot* in advance, but see if it's an option.

And you can have sex (any kind of sex) when a gurl is menstrating, but if you don't perfer it I don't blame you. Good luck.

Brittany

------------------
I'm so sexy it's almost evil

"...a ready supply of playdough that anyone can create the stuff of their dreams from" - Mz S

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.