Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Defining Sex & Virginity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Defining Sex & Virginity
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this article http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20001116/2843499s.htm in USA Today through yahoo the other day, that claims that more and younger teens are engaging in high risk sexual behaviour (namely unprotected oral sex) while they don't regard oral sex as *sex* and therefore don't protect themselves adequately. According to the author of the article, the people involved regard themselves as *virgins* despite engaging in oral sex. The authors findings were inconclusive what kind of oral sex teens were engaging in - whether it is mainly girls performing oral sex on boys or whether boys are also performing oral sex on girls.
She does conclude however, that girls are being degraded because they get the impression that they have to take part in oral sex to keep their partner.

I was surprised by this article because my definition of *virginity* seems to be somewhat different of the people interviewed....and I also regard oral sex as something very intimate and definitely as *sex*.
In my personal definition, many things can be *sex* or *sexual* - definitely a lot more than simply intercourse.
For me, Virginity is something that runs a lot deeper than just the fact that you've never been vaginally penetrated or that you have vaginally penetrated someone.

So I was wondering: What are your definitions of Sex? And how do you define Virginity? Do you feel pressure to be sexually active or to do certain things in order to keep your partner as it seems to be the case with the people interviewed for the article?

I am not quite sure whether the article is very credible (after all, it's from USA Today *lol*) so I'd like to hear your views on this.
I know this topic is pretty close to the *intimacy* thread that is around at the moment, but I thought it would be worth to be posted separately.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 11-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 11-19-2000).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, here at Scarleteen we have always held that sex is sexual activity -- any activity that is perceived as or felt to be erotic or sexual. Masturbation is sex. Oral sex is sex. Phone sex is sex. Cybersex is sex. Anal sex is sex. Penis-in-vagina sex is sex. Depending on the situation, kissing and necking can be sexual, too. It's a very wide and nebulous definition, but that's what we think. If it engages you on a sexual level, it's some form of sex.

As for what we feel about virginity, here's an article you might be interested in reading: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/virginity.html

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.