Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Condoms, Bacteria, Cancer etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms, Bacteria, Cancer etc.
camryn
Activist
Member # 1242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking at this board regularly and there's a couple of things I'm wondering about. First, I've seen studies that show that a woman's chances of developing cervical cancer rise with her number of partners. Would this be true even if the woman were always using condoms? I've also read that you have a greater chance of getting cervical cancer if you start having intercourse before 15. Again, I'm wondering whether this would be true if you were using condoms. Thirdly, I've often read and heard doctor's recommend that you pee before and after sex to get rid of bacteria. Is this necessary if you're using condoms? Can you clear some of this up for me? Thanks.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards!

Let me give you a non specific answer, since I can't answer your questions, but I"m sure there's someone around here who can. You might also want to check out the Pink Slip section of the site at http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/ to see if there's an article that answers your questions there.

Condoms are great. However, they are not Invincible Disease Proof Body Armor. When used correctly (see http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/condom.html for more about that), they reduce the risk of exposure to many STDs, as well as helping to prevent pregnancy.

However, that's all they do; reduce the risk. Bacteria, virii, and all the other fun organisms that live in your body or a partner's body can still be passed back and forth via skin to skin contact, improperly used condoms, or other ways. Also, sexual activity is not the only way to catch an STD, and cervical cancer can occur in people who are not sexually active.

So yes, as far as I know, it's still possible for a woman to develop cervical cancer, a STD, or an UTI or other bacterial infection, even if she uses condoms.

(now, all the sexperts jump in please. :)

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh ... i'm not sure how much i can help ya w/ this one, but i'm gonna try.

I recently went to the doc to change my BC pills and we talked about having a pap smear and since i had to know WHY (i always have to ask why, i'm like a 2 yr old sometimes hehe) ... So we always were talking about cervical cancer and stuff.

As far as i know, it's true, the more partners you have, the higher your risks of cerv. cancer are, even if you are using condoms (why wouldn't you be?) That's why it's super important to have a yearly pap smear once you become sexually active (scarleteen suggests you go once you start your period, i'm just telling you what my doc told me tho ... hehe) so they can find abnormal cells and stuff early, which can only be found through a pap test!

Hmm as for the intercourse and age thing, i have no idea. I don't know how that could be true tho. Again, no, whether you use condoms or not shouldn't affect your risks for cervical cancer (or maybe it can, but it's not contagious right? oh my, my info is somewhat jumbled ... sorry hun)

From what i've heard, urinating before and after you have sex is a *really* good idea. First of all, it emptys your bladder and no one wants to have to get up and pee ... kinda kills the mood (i've done it lol whoops) It cleans out bacteria and stuff, so you're less likely to get infections and less likely to give your partner one. Yes, it's necessary if you use condoms. Everything is still the same when you use condoms ... except you're chances of preg. and STD's are extremly lowered!!

Aren't you glad we have those lil rubber things we like to call condoms?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.