Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » do i have ANY control over my period?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do i have ANY control over my period?!?
rose82
Neophyte
Member # 1854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rose82     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im wondering if there is anyway that i can make my period start when i want it to. im on the pill and i know i should get it sometime this week. it usually comes on wednesday and i have it for about six days but i was wondering if i could get it like a day or two early so it will be over with by the time i go to this thing this weekend. help!!!!!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the type of birth control you are taking, your doctor may be able to help you with this if you go ASAP, like, yesterday. It may be possible to adjust your cycle, but it sounds like it may already be too late for that.

Hon, I'm sorry. Periods are just inconvenient sometimes. In future, you can work with your gynecologist to adjust your cycle if there is a legitimate reason for you to avoid having your period on a certain day (like your wedding, Prom, honeymoon, swim meet finals, whatever), but this isn't something that should be done on your own. And there really isn't any other way to move your period around.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/ .

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just philosophical and won't be of much practical use to you but it's something to think about. It is a controversial subject, but there are cases documented by anthropologists in which women in a village seem to be synchronized. They all tend to have their periods together around the same time of month. This isn't clockwork of course and its hard to really document fully--how much is just belief and how much is real--but there does seem to be tendency for this to happen in traditional villages. It probably has to do with everyone sharing very similar diets, lifestyles, etc. Perhaps this is where the 'folk' belief that women always have their periods on the full moon originated (not true of course)

I have always been fascinated by the idea that women could bring their cycles into harmony as a group. It probably happens with other biological cycles that are more subtle and harder to observe, with both men and women.

One possible practical implication is that a regular diet and lifestyle would probably help make your period more regular and predictible.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 06 November 2000).]

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or you can stop it all together by using your pills. you can discuss this with your gyno, but it's a risky sort of thing. there can be complications like uterine cancer. anyway, it's a matter of taking your pills in succession without placebos. like i said, you have to take it up with your doctor because tinkering with your hormones is risky and should be left up to the professionals.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BabyAngel84
Activist
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BabyAngel84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for some reason if i do a lot of exercises like crunches and stuff for a good period of time (2-3 wk's b4 period) mine is a lot lighter....there's a big diff. and the cramps aren't as bad...it's not exactly stopping it but it's makin it better. it may just be like that for me i'm not sure but hey it's worth a shot.....bye.

------------------
* No man/woman is worth your tears and the
only one who is, will never make you cry.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
If you love someone, put their name in a
circle, instead of a heart, because hearts can break,
but circles go on forever.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen
to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don't
say.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If all my friends were to jump off a
bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the
bottom to catch them.*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 161 | From: Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron --

Women living in physically close communities do generally begin to cycle together, though it can take a while for it to happen. Women living in sorority houses, dormitories, even summer camps have noticed the phenomenon for a long time, and doctors/scientists have actually studied it. It is believed that pheromones in sweat and other body fluids have an effect on other people, and that eventually, menstrual cycles will (for most but not all women in the community, usually) entrain so that they happen more or less at the same time.

There's a good article about it -- in layperson's terms -- here: http://onhealth.webmd.com/women/columnist/item,48082.asp

As far as controlling when your period comes and how long it lasts? You don't really have much control, no, though being on the Pill does offer you *some*. However, stress, health conditions, and other variables may intensify or lessen your period, and those aren't necessarily things you can control.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re: synchronization of cycles of women living in close quarters

wouldn't you like to be the girl who everyone else synchornizes to? i guess that would mean you were the alpha-female. whoa. that'd be cool.

i lived in the dorms when i was a froshy, but since i was on the pill, i didn't sync with the other girls.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the 4 studies I've read on it, Gumdrop, it's not an Alpha-Female thing -- it's more of a consensus-reaching process, or, if you will, a variant on dominos toppling one another. The general research opinion seems to be roughly this:

Given the length of the average menstrual cycle and the sections thereof, there are bound to be women cycling close to one another at any given time anyway. They begin to entrain to one another, some beginning to ovulate a little later, some a little earlier. As they all end up ovulating at roughly the same time, women whose cycles were farther away start getting pulled in because the combined pheromone "push" to do so is stronger. And so on. But basically, they haven't been able to find any support for the alpha-female theory, they think it's far more likely to be a "strength in numbers" situation.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating Hanne, I take it these are studies in Western society. I wouldn't have expected it. In traditional villages the whole ritual cycle, some of which is exlusively women's, is thought to contribute to entraining women due to the psychic unity involved. i wouldn't expect individualistic, rat racers to be able to empathize so well.
Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nurseman
Neophyte
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nurseman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news ladies!
At a medical school near my home, they are working on a new from of birth control that will have a side effect of limiting your periods to 4 a year, maybe less.

It won't be out for some time but it is on the way.

------------------

Posts: 10 | From: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read a few moths ago that some ob/gyns have come to believe that women in the western world these days have many more periods in their lifetimes than women in the past, due to earlier onset of menstruation, fewer children, better nutrition etc. and that that might actually be causing health problems. They discussed whether women actually *need* menstruation for good health and whether women on the pill should menstruate or not and in which cycles they should do so (say every month or just every three months or whatever).

Just thought I'd mention it over here....Could you live without your period?
I would probably be freaked every month for fear of getting pregnant (despite the pill and safer sex, I am always a little freaky - my ob/gyn calls this "the natural thrill of fertility". Yeah!).

Will be interesting what the outcome of this research will be in the long run. Of course it is just one opinion, but still. I'll see whether I can find the original article somewhere (it also gave lots of info on the Pill in general and on the changes in society that the pill caused).
Till then, here is another article on the necessity of periods called "Are monthy periods obsolete?" from WebMD that deals with the same topic http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1689.50764 Thought that might be interesting.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But...of course, no one should start messing around with her pill and take it nonstop or whatever without consulting her doc about it.... Might have really unexpected results. I have found that when I needed to adjust my cycle to *a special occasion*, my doc was always understanding and helpful and explained everything well, so it's not weird at all.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.