Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: disease?
Paris
Neophyte
Member # 1210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 1 week ago my vagina started itching, so I looked down there and there were a couple of liitle bumps. Now there are a little more. They are really little and on the on the lips and parts of the vagina that I can see myself. I am not sure if it is a STD or something else. I had sex with my ex boyfriend- that was two monthes ago. I also hooked up with a guy 2 weeks ago. I am really scared.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well darling I can't tell you what it is, but I will ask so anyone who CAN tell you that reads this: did you use a condom with your ex? When you hooked up did you practice safe sex? (Condoms for intercourse, latex gloves for manual sex, dental dams and condoms for oral). If you did and nothing broke then you can be a lot less worried.

Brittany

------------------
I'm the good girl that everyone thinks is a bad girl pretending to be a good girl :D

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be not afraid, and be not ashamed, just realise that you have an obligation to yourself and future partners to get to a doctor or gynecologist, and get this dealt with -- now! And if you haven't been, please start practicing safer sex!
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You certainly need to make a GYN or clinic appointment pronto. It sounds potentially like HPV to me.

There's no need to be scared unless you don't get to a doc and take care of it. If you don't do that, or if you have another sex partner before you do, protected or no, then you should be scared, sweetie, so get in there as soon as you can, and be abstinent meanwhile.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paris
Neophyte
Member # 1210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OKAY, I talked with my mom and she called my doctor. The nurse said that the antibiotics that I have been taking regularly could have caused a yeast infection. Her guess was that that was what it was. Does that sound like that could be it to you also?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know too much about the symptons and such of yeast infections (although if you used search you could probably find *something*) but I know whenever my mom goes to the doctor and needs antibiotics she gets a yeast infection. Which is another reason to try not to get sick

Brittany

------------------
I'm the good girl that everyone thinks is a bad girl pretending to be a good girl :D

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, yes, there's a whole article on yeast infections, Miss Pixie!
http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/fbi_yeast.html

symptoms include (quoted from the article):

abnormal vaginal discharge that is usually thick, white and pasty with small curds
vaginal and labial itching and soreness
redness and swelling of the labia or vagina
pain with intercourse
pain or burning while urinating

Antibiotics can cause yeast infections or other kinds of secondary infections, so this is very possible. However, if you've never had a yeast infection before, it's a good idea to see your doctor so that they can make sure that it is what you have and prescribe appropriate treatment.

According to my nurse practitioner, certain kinds of treatment for yeast infections work better on certain kinds of yeast infections, so it's important for them to get a good match so that you zap the beasties effectively.

Your doctor can also tell you if it's not a yeast infection, too, and what to do about that.

erin, who's had to learn waaaay too much about this lately for her own good

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nurseman
Neophyte
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nurseman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was all ready to say that a couple of bumps do not nessessarily a yeast infection make, and then go into a schpeal about what yeast infections were ect, ect.
But it looks like I have been very handily beaten to the punch, and by folks who know what they are talking about.

Paris, I wish I could add something but it seems the subject has been well covered.

I am very much impressed.

Posts: 10 | From: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you let your mom and your doctor know you have had unprotected sex? if you didn't, they need that information, otherwise, you're leaving out a very important part of the picture.

As usual, I highly advise you SEE your doctor or GYN, espcially since symptoms of a simple yeast infection do not usually include lumps or bumps.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pixie, your mum gets yeast infections because the antibiotics kill off healthy bacteria too, and let little nasties like yeast take over. The quick and easy solution is for her to eat yogurt with 'active cultures' (check the ingredients), or take pills containing the neccesary bacteria, which are also just plain good for digestion when she's on antibiotics. Can't recall the proper name, but a pharmacist would know.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Acidophilus.

And if you (or anyone else) are going to use those, be sure you use the type you find refridgerated, as they're the most potent and effective.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.