Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » New HIV Youth Study

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New HIV Youth Study
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(from the SIECUS newsletter)

White House Study Examines HIV/AIDS Among Youth

Youth and HIV/AIDS 2000: A New American Agenda, a report released by The White House Office of National AIDS Policy, is a follow up to a 1996 report that named young people under 25 as a “generation at risk.” This new report on the status of the epidemic among young people, acknowledges the progress made and calls for a reinvigorated national response to the problem.

HIV/AIDS and Young People
*Half of all new HIV infections are thought to occur in young people under the age of 25. Young Americans between the ages of 13 and 25 are contracting HIV at the rate of two per hour.

*An estimated 250,000 young Americans are unaware that they are infected with HIV.

*More than 123,000 young adults in the United States have developed AIDS in their twenties. The majority of these young people were likely infected with HIV as teenagers.

*Of the 828 HIV infections reported among people 13 to 19 years of age in 1999, 65% occurred in females compared with 35% in males. Similarly,
of the 2,386 HIV infections reported among people 20 to 24 years of age, 44% occurred in females compared with 55% in males.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering why the infection rate is so high for young females.

I mean, I thought lesbian sex was a relatively poor means of transmission, male/male sex was an extremely good means of transmission, with hetero sex somewhere in between?

That would imply that those women are most likely getting it from male partners.

If so, how are so many young women getting infected? One infected male infecting several women can't be that prevalent, can it? Especially since the male infection rate should be boosted by homosexual transmission. (The 20-24yo figures seem more realistic to me in this regard)

What's causing this? Is heterosexual activity that much more dangerous for women?

------------------
You vil vear ze condoms, or ve vil use ze hot pokers!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not absolutely sure of this but I believe it is, because women receive more fluid from the male than he does from her, unless she's on her period, when most couples avoid sex. As such a woman who has unprotected sex with an infected man is more likely to get HIV than a man who has unprotected sex with an infected woman. Don't quote me on that though; wait for one of the sexperts to verify it.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few factors that have contributed to that, throughout the history of HIV::

1) People can be carriers of HIV without actually being infected with the disease.

2) Men tend, in general, to have more partners than women do. So, yes, one man with several partners is certainly pretty prevalent.

3) Beppie is right. It is easier for men to spread disease to women than vice-versa.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if its 65:35, taking into account the fact that some of the men are gay, and hence likely to have an impact on the net result...

That makes being a heterosexual female around 2-3 times more dangerous than being a heterosexual male? Or are the figures distorted somehow?

I mean are women more likely to be diagnosed? Are gay men in their twenties more likely to engage in unsafe sex than younger men?

Sorry if none of this makes sense...a few too many drinkies and not quite enough slep, tonight.

------------------
You vil vear ze condoms, or ve vil use ze hot pokers!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Yes, it is about that much more dangerous to be a heterosexual woman. I think that's a good guess.

I'd bet that indeed, as you guess, women are more likely to be diagnosed, but we also are -- and have always been -- easier conduits for disease, as it were, because semen, which many women take into their mouths and vaginas, is an excellent carrier of disease. Vaginal fluids are not.

These stats refelct basically what I have seen cumulatively elsewhere, thus, why we do what we do. In other words, we're not being paranoid when we tell you guys to use safer sex practices, or try not to participate in high risk activities at all. It is really serious business.

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If both you and your partner have never been with anyone before, can you still catch HIV??
I have a friend who has givin oral sex to guys about 7 differ guys and swallowed, shes done it more than once to these guys also, and I have only been with one and swallowed (quite a bit). Whos at greater risk of getting the HIV virus??

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
glitter, that's one of the hardest questions, and we still just don't know that much about HIV.

there is a new study going on at the moment regarding oral sex and HIV transmission...let me pull up that link right quick...

here you go. http://www.salon.com/health/feature/2000/10/20/oral_transmission/index.html

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/ .

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 28 October 2000).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Glitter: technically, if neither of you know that the people to whom you gave oral sex to tested negative for HIV, then basically, you both have the same risk, since you both have given oral sex unprotected to at least one person, and you can't catch HIV twice.

The easy answer to this is to get tested.

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So your sayin, if he tested negitive for HIV, and so did I, there is no chance I could get the virus right??

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A problem with HIV tests that should be taken into consideration is this: there is a long period of time between you having a risky contact, being able to get tested, and finding out results. This time lag means that some people who test negative are newly positive by the time they get their results.

But it's still better to go get tested than not to.

And in the future, people:
<rant>
LATEX, RUBBER, LATEX, RUBBER!
WEAR A FREAKING CONDOM, OR USE A DENTAL DAM, OR GLOVES, FOR ANYTHING AT ALL: ORAL SEX, ANAL SEX, PENIS-IN-VAGINA SEX, HECK, YOU CAN EVEN WEAR ONE FOR CYBERSEX! ISN'T IT WORTH YOUR LIFE?
</rant>

Sorry. It's just that so many of those new cases didn't have to happen, and I don't want to have to hear that any of you are positive...

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/ .

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 29 October 2000).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*~sparkles~*
Neophyte
Member # 1883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *~sparkles~*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few of you seemed confused about the idea that females are a lot more at risk for contracting HIV through sex than males. The answer isn't too complicated when you think about it. It has to do with surface area. Simply getting the virus on your skin does not really mean anything, it needs to get inside of you. Compare the how much of the inner vagina can be infected, to the chances of the virus getting actually inside of a male through the penis. Does that make sense? I know quite a bit about this issue, because I know quite a few people who have HIV or AIDS.
And something else of note: Heterosexuals are getting the virus a lot more frequently than homosexuals at this point in time, which contradicts what a lot of people think.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.