Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pimples

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pimples
shyguy
Neophyte
Member # 1026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shyguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that you can get pimples from sugary foods like candy or pop because my mom says you can? Please help
Posts: 11 | From: Lakewood, Colorado | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the best way of putting this is that ANY sort of largely empty calories -- especially if they are fatty or oily, like chips, fries, chocolate, etc -- can cause troubles with your skin, and the general detoxifying processes of the body.

Some people get pimples from high sugar foods, others don't. But it can never hurt to cut them for a while and find out if you're one of those people.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to my dermatologist about this once - and they denied that diet had anything to do with complexion.

Obviously, it's not ALL true, but eating a balanced diet really couldn't hurt.

Drinking LOTS of water can help, too, but just generally keeping clean, and keeping your hands away from your face should do the trick, unless you've got acne that stems from a hormonal problem.

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard dermatologists all over the place at this one.

However, from a holistic point of view, diet effects all of your bodies processes, and I've seen that in action positively and negatively time and time again.

Water is great. When my skin is acting up (and I am a lifelong vegetarian who eats little to not fats or greases whatsoever, but my body is also getting back at me in the last five years for never having had a single zit in my teens, apparently), I try and start my day with two big glasses of water with fresh lemon (citrus products tend to help to detoxify the body), and I see a difference pretty fast.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a pimple that hurt really bad, and my mom said it was from eating or having something acidy (lemons, oranges ect..)..she calls them acid pimples.. can you really get pimples from acidy foods??? I hope I dont get a pimple now..

And,can you tell me why popping a pimple makes it GROW BIGGER??

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that. my mother used to say the same thing, except she'd focus on tomatoes, because there was a time in my early adolescence in which I ate basically nothing but tomato sandwiches (Harriet the Spy resemblance?). she connected my adolescent breakouts with the tomatoes, but I never did give 'em up to test her theory.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/ .

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They grow bigger because when you do that mainly because you introduce bacteria. It's an infection, basically. It also may depend on how hard you press, how long you irritate it, etc. I admit. I used to do this. And most of mine completely disapeared afterwards.

To make them alleviate, try washing your face daily with a cleanser. Biore Daily cleanser and Clearisil work really well, but only if you use them regularly. And keep your hands off of your face. Along with hair. If pimples REALLY bother you, talk to a dermatoligist. They have *many* medications for them. The strongest is Accutane. This stuff can be nasty- pre-requisites include birth control and mandatory blood tests. It can cause havock on your liver. Right now I am on Monodox-a low dosage anti-biotic. It seems to be working. Yay! 100mg a day keeps the pimples away!

My mom has been in the medical business since the 70's...Most recently a dermatologist. Can't you tell?

------------------
After seven months without snow, desperation overrides common sense.

Snow is the worlds security blanket. It makes it serene, quiet and beautiful.

"Close your eyes for they see only the truth and the truth is not what you want to see."

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.