Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Contagious before showing symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contagious before showing symptoms?
momma cat
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awhile ago, me and my boyfriend both had second hour off, and he lived real close to the school so we'd go over to his house and watch TV, get some quality couch time , get some food, etc. One day he had a cold and "I want to kiss you, but I'm not going to because I don't want to get you sick with this nasty bug I've got" but when a person catches a cold, doesn't it normally take a couple days for the initial few germ cells to reproduce and reproduce and reproduce until the numbers of germs and immune system stuff is sufficient to create outward symptoms like a fever and runny nose?

The point I'm getting to is wouldn't I already be exposed? If I've been kissing him everyday for three days prior to him showing symptoms, then I should already have the bug in my system, and cuddling and kissing while he's sick shouldn't make a difference...right?

Is there an empidemiologist in the house?

Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BabyAngel84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
exact same thing happened w/me and erik...he had a cold when he was over and was like "i would kiss you but i don't want u to get sick" so...we did the oral thing...and just lil' kisses ended up happening anyways and we ended up kissing w/mouths open...(no tounge) and it was only for a sec. but the next day i was sicker than he was! so i dunno....maybe i had it coming already..i'm not sure...but be careful!
Posts: 161 | From: Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know if this has anything to do with what you are asking, but i'm sick and me & my bf recently had a discussion about this.

um...there are billions of different kinds of colds. they are all classified as colds, but they are different. so once you get one kind of cold you'll never get THAT kind again. For example, person A is sick. A kisses B and B gets sick. A gets better, but B is still sick. B kisses A...A will not get sick again. Not with that cold anyways. See what I'm saying? Your body fights off that bacteria and NOW protects again that same bacteria.

as for being exposed before the symptoms were there...yes i think you it's possible for you to catch the cold. as a matter of fact, you don't even need to kiss that person to get their sickness....

~*GoDdEsS oF lOvE aNd BeAuTy*~

JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
epidemiologist. will epidemiologist-to-be work?

a lot of diseases are communicable when asymptomatic. colds, chicken pox, AIDS...

so weigh out your options? you can kiss if you don't mind two weeks of a runny nose and sore throat.

back in may, my boyfriend and i ping-pong'd a cold back and forth between us (and to his flatmates, too). his flatmate had it, then he had it, gave it to me, it mutated in me, i gave it back to him, and he gave it to the other flatmate.

if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets just say this if you get a cold you cant get the same cold over become immune to the you get what im sayin folks?

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.