Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Chronic Masterbation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chronic Masterbation
PurpleRain
Neophyte
Member # 1464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleRain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering what Chronic Masterbation was.

------------------

Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, "chronic" means ongoing, something that happens frequently over a long period of time. If you had chronic headaches, that would mean you'd have a lot of them and it would be a problem you would have had for a while. You know what masturbation means, right?

So "chronic masturbation" would mean someone who masturbated a lot, and had done so for a long time.

Is this necessarily a problem? No. I think that using the term "chronic masturbation" is more a value judgement than it seems on the surface -- because it implies that there is a right and wrong amount of masturbation, and that more than that "right amount" is bad in a sort of medical way.

And that's just not true. The only person who can make a decision about whether or not they are masturbating too much is that person him or herself. If it feels uncomfortable, if someone is feeling obsessed about masturbating, or if masturbating is getting in the way of their ability to do other things they need to do in their life, then perhaps they need to think about whether they're doing it too much and need to ease off.

But really, if masturbation isn't a problem, then it just isn't a problem.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PurpleRain
Neophyte
Member # 1464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleRain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only reason i posted this is because i was having a discussion with my boyfriend and he told me that i make him want to better himself and he said that before he met me that he had chronic masterbation syndrome which i was kind of clueless on what is was i mean you have an idea but not for certain and he said it was horrible before he met me but now it's pratically stopped. :) It may not seem like much of a problem but i guess to him it was!

------------------

Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chronic masturbation symdrome?

Either he was being fascetious, or some idiot told him that because they were making a personal judgement about masturbation and trying to pass it off as a professional diagnosis. Medically, there is no such thing as Chronic Masturbation Syndrome.

If there was, somebody had better tell Aja, because I know she'd have volunteered to be the "CMS" poster child in less than two seconds flat.

(ducking)

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO!! Very nice Mz S. ... hehe
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, this really sounds like something from the 1800's, when masturbation was supposed to reduce life span (all that life-giving semen going to waste!), and cause limp-wristedness and pimples and all that. And when women were believed not to do it at all, and vibrators were invented to relieve hysteria (sickness caused by the womb not being used productively and causing the woman to go mad -- more old and scary ideas).

I'm not making any of this up, by the way. Which gives you some idea of the strange mentality that spawned ideas like this.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.