Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Frequent Periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frequent Periods
lolita
Neophyte
Member # 1372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lolita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having my period every two weeks for a month and a half. I am really scared that something is wrong. I am 16 and have had regular periods for 5 years. I just became sexually active and I am scared that it is a STD. I have always been safe, except for once. Nothing else is irregular though. My doctor thinks it might be because I don't eat red meat. Can anyone help me?
Posts: 2 | From: maine | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ick. You have my sympathies. I've had problems with irregular and heavy periods all my life, even before I became sexually active.

A lot of things can cause irregular periods, and I really couldn't tell you which one you've got, since I"m not a doctor. Your regular doctor's suggestion that you're not eating red meat might have to do with his/her concern that you could be anemic, but that might not be the cause.

I would say, though, that the best thing to do would be to visit a gynecologist, since they specialize in treating things like this. It's very likely that they'll be able to figure out what's wrong and to get you some treatment.(They fixed mine by putting me on the pill for a while, but there are other options depending on what the problem is.)

It's important to be honest with your doctors about your sexual history, and to get an STD screen, even if it turns out not to be what's causing your problem. Without complete information about you, your doctors might miss important things that will help keep you healthy.

I tend to get nervous and embarrassed when talking to my doctor about things like that, but over time, as I've done it more, it's gotten to be no big deal. However, I'm also over 18 and paying my own health insurance, so I don't have the added issue of dealing with my parents, too.

good luck!

------------------
--
PHILOSOPHY: Basically, this involves sitting in a room and deciding there
is no such thing as reality and then going to lunch. -- Dave Barry

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the same problem. my periods were less than 3 weeks apart and they lasted 2 weeks at a time. go to your doctor, tell him/her what's up. he/she'll probably prescribe birth control pills to regulate your cycle.

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enthusiastically agree -- go see a doctor. If your current doctor thinks your menstrual cycle is disrupted because you eat red meat, fire your doctor, because that's a pretty lazy (and kind of flaky) answer. If this doctor *is* your gynecologist, ask to be referred to a reproductive endocrinologist. Telling you it's being caused by what you eat, without testing for a cause/causes, does not constitute adequate care.

It is not usually a normal thing for a woman to menstruate every two weeks, particularly not after she has had a regular (monthly) cycle for some time. Any major shift in menstrual cycle should be thoroughly checked out by a qualified professional.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Michelle_Flutterfly*
Neophyte
Member # 1587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Michelle_Flutterfly*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was like you are now, I would have my period for like 25 days at a time, then I wouldn't have it for 5 days, then I would have it for 25 days or so again... NOT normal, it is supposed to be the oposite way. Anyways, I thought well, since i just started getting it, it will take a while to get regular. Boy oh boy was I wrong. It just kept up like that for a loooooong time (like a year) anyways, I started passing out, slept all the time, and had other symptoms. Eventually, I ended up in the ER with horrible stomach pains that would not go away no matter what I did. The did all sorts of blood tests it turns out that I was SEVERLY anemic. My haemoglobin should have been 120-140 but it was 57 because of the amount of blood loss. I was put on BC pills and Oral Iron Pills and 6 months later, I am ALMOST better. Go to the doc and discuss this, you don't want to end up like I did. Believe me!!!
Posts: 19 | From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.